Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
      Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
      acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
      who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
      of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
      parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
      unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
      once was as we can.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
      wrote:
      > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
      here
      > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
      by
      > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
      > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
      >
      > Either way, you go and have fun.
      >
      > Jerusha
    • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
        wrote:
        <snip>

        > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
        here
        > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
        by
        > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
        > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

        I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
        cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
        They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
        couldn't do!

        'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
        is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
        question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
        characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
        that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
        course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
        in more than just the overview.

        I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
        the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
        I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
        should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
        Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
        couldn't do both.

        My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
        *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
        to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

        Eirene