Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8 8:33 AM
      > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
      > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
      > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
      > > Faire activity.
      >
      > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
      > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
      > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

      The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
      alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
      SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
      an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

      Either way, you go and have fun.

      Jerusha
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8 12:40 PM
        Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
        acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
        who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
        of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
        parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
        unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
        once was as we can.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
        wrote:
        > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
        here
        > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
        by
        > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
        > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
        >
        > Either way, you go and have fun.
        >
        > Jerusha
      • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17 8:00 AM
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
          wrote:
          <snip>

          > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
          here
          > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
          by
          > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
          > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

          I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
          cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
          They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
          couldn't do!

          'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
          is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
          question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
          characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
          that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
          course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
          in more than just the overview.

          I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
          the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
          I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
          should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
          Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
          couldn't do both.

          My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
          *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
          to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

          Eirene