Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
      On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
      > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
      > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
      > Faire activity.

      Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
      SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
      SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
        > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
        > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
        > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
        > > Faire activity.
        >
        > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
        > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
        > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

        The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
        alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
        SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
        an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

        Either way, you go and have fun.

        Jerusha
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
          Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
          acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
          who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
          of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
          parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
          unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
          once was as we can.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
          wrote:
          > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
          here
          > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
          by
          > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
          > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
          >
          > Either way, you go and have fun.
          >
          > Jerusha
        • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
            wrote:
            <snip>

            > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
            here
            > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
            by
            > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
            > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

            I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
            cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
            They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
            couldn't do!

            'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
            is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
            question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
            characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
            that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
            course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
            in more than just the overview.

            I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
            the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
            I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
            should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
            Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
            couldn't do both.

            My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
            *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
            to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

            Eirene