Re: Greetings and, help please?

  • athterath@HotPOP.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003

      Your principality's website <http://www.northshield.org/> would be the logical place. If you don't see everything you need there, just click on the gold key on a green background to find the Chatelaine's page, where you can request more info.

      >. . .my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

      No. Firstly, if you want to register your device in the SCA, it cannot be identical to any mundane (i.e., outside the SCA) device. (Though it can be similar to and/or incorporate elements of a device or devices you like.) Secondly, mundane coats of arms are not issued to families, but to individuals. By the end of our period they were being inherited, but even then they belonged to only one individual per generation.

      Coblaith
      <mailto:Athterath@...>
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
        On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
        > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
        > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
        > Faire activity.

        Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
        SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
        SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
          > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
          > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
          > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
          > > Faire activity.
          >
          > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
          > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
          > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

          The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
          alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
          SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
          an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

          Either way, you go and have fun.

          Jerusha
        • chemistbb3
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
            Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
            acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
            who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
            of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
            parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
            unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
            once was as we can.

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
            wrote:
            > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
            here
            > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
            by
            > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
            > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
            >
            > Either way, you go and have fun.
            >
            > Jerusha
          • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
              wrote:
              <snip>

              > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
              here
              > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
              by
              > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
              > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

              I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
              cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
              They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
              couldn't do!

              'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
              is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
              question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
              characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
              that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
              course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
              in more than just the overview.

              I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
              the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
              I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
              should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
              Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
              couldn't do both.

              My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
              *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
              to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

              Eirene