Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Saraid ban-saorse
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003
      Welcome, Debbie!

      --- Tirloch/ Scott Reardon <tirloch@...> wrote:

      > Deb wrote:
      >
      > > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer.

      > > Thirdly, my father has done a genealogy, and there is a
      > crest that is
      > > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to
      > Runyon or
      > > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that
      > crest?
      >
      > If I remember properly (I will ask a herald about this),
      > you can use
      > your family crest only if you are the member of the
      > family line who has
      > a legal authority to the device.

      > Generally people in
      > the SCA create their own devices to use. My SCA device
      > uses parts of my
      > real family device, but is different enough to not
      > offend. You may think
      > about looking into something like that.
      >
      > Your Servant,
      >
      > Tirloch
      > Chatelaine (new person contact) of the Barony of
      > Jararvellir

      You are correct. I, too, wished to use a specific device
      of my scottish clan (Young) particularly because it was a
      canting device -
      but ended up using elements from several devices spanning
      several hundred years. Another thing you have to remember
      is to be careful of duplicating someone else's
      SCA-registered device too closely. Example: the Young
      device features a sapling - I had to search for those to
      make sure my version differed enough from others. There
      are search engines linked to the SCA heraldry site you can
      use to check for charges, blazons, etc. although you herald
      should be able to help you with that sort of thing.

      yours aye,

      -BanCu (warrioress in training)

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • athterath@HotPOP.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003

        Your principality's website <http://www.northshield.org/> would be the logical place. If you don't see everything you need there, just click on the gold key on a green background to find the Chatelaine's page, where you can request more info.

        >. . .my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

        No. Firstly, if you want to register your device in the SCA, it cannot be identical to any mundane (i.e., outside the SCA) device. (Though it can be similar to and/or incorporate elements of a device or devices you like.) Secondly, mundane coats of arms are not issued to families, but to individuals. By the end of our period they were being inherited, but even then they belonged to only one individual per generation.

        Coblaith
        <mailto:Athterath@...>
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
          On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
          > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
          > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
          > Faire activity.

          Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
          SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
          SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
            > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
            > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
            > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
            > > Faire activity.
            >
            > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
            > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
            > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

            The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
            alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
            SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
            an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

            Either way, you go and have fun.

            Jerusha
          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
              Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
              acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
              who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
              of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
              parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
              unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
              once was as we can.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
              wrote:
              > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
              here
              > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
              by
              > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
              > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
              >
              > Either way, you go and have fun.
              >
              > Jerusha
            • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
                wrote:
                <snip>

                > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
                here
                > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
                by
                > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

                I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
                cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
                They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
                couldn't do!

                'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
                is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
                question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
                characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
                that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
                course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
                in more than just the overview.

                I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
                the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
                I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
                should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
                Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
                couldn't do both.

                My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
                *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
                to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

                Eirene