Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Tirloch/ Scott Reardon
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6 10:28 AM
      Deb wrote:

      > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer. I have not yet attended
      > any meetings, mainly because I don't know where to go. I know I live
      > in the Principality of Northshield, Kingdom of Midrealm, and I think
      > I saw that Northshield is now becoming its own kingdom. Therefore,
      > who and where do I need to contact to get more information?

      There is a Northshield web site at: http://www.northshield.org/
      If you click on groups, the modern names of the cities are located in
      parenthesis under the SCA name of the group.
      Or, if you tell us where you live, and what is the closest city to you,
      I am sure someone here could tell you which group to contact.

      > Also, as for my persona: I have not yet determined that, either. I
      > do want to be a warrior (I am a woman, in my 40s, but that seems to
      > be ok here). Any suggestions as to what would be appropriate?

      Any area would be appropriate as there was a lot of fighting happening
      all over. If you are looking for specific cultures they had women
      warriors, or at least didn't thoroughly discourage women from fighting,
      the celts, vikings, Mongols, and Bedouin (desert nomads) come to mind.
      But if you wish to be a French or English ot German lady who also fights
      that is more than acceptable.

      > Thirdly, my father has done a genealogy, and there is a crest that is
      > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
      > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

      If I remember properly (I will ask a herald about this), you can use
      your family crest only if you are the member of the family line who has
      a legal authority to the device. For instance in my family that would be
      the oldest living male of direct decent. That honor belongs to a gentle
      in Ireland who is the head of the O'Riordain Clan. Generally people in
      the SCA create their own devices to use. My SCA device uses parts of my
      real family device, but is different enough to not offend. You may think
      about looking into something like that.

      Your Servant,

      Tirloch
      Chatelaine (new person contact) of the Barony of Jararvellir
    • Saraid ban-saorse
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6 12:04 PM
        Welcome, Debbie!

        --- Tirloch/ Scott Reardon <tirloch@...> wrote:

        > Deb wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer.

        > > Thirdly, my father has done a genealogy, and there is a
        > crest that is
        > > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to
        > Runyon or
        > > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that
        > crest?
        >
        > If I remember properly (I will ask a herald about this),
        > you can use
        > your family crest only if you are the member of the
        > family line who has
        > a legal authority to the device.

        > Generally people in
        > the SCA create their own devices to use. My SCA device
        > uses parts of my
        > real family device, but is different enough to not
        > offend. You may think
        > about looking into something like that.
        >
        > Your Servant,
        >
        > Tirloch
        > Chatelaine (new person contact) of the Barony of
        > Jararvellir

        You are correct. I, too, wished to use a specific device
        of my scottish clan (Young) particularly because it was a
        canting device -
        but ended up using elements from several devices spanning
        several hundred years. Another thing you have to remember
        is to be careful of duplicating someone else's
        SCA-registered device too closely. Example: the Young
        device features a sapling - I had to search for those to
        make sure my version differed enough from others. There
        are search engines linked to the SCA heraldry site you can
        use to check for charges, blazons, etc. although you herald
        should be able to help you with that sort of thing.

        yours aye,

        -BanCu (warrioress in training)

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • athterath@HotPOP.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6 12:07 PM

          Your principality's website <http://www.northshield.org/> would be the logical place. If you don't see everything you need there, just click on the gold key on a green background to find the Chatelaine's page, where you can request more info.

          >. . .my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

          No. Firstly, if you want to register your device in the SCA, it cannot be identical to any mundane (i.e., outside the SCA) device. (Though it can be similar to and/or incorporate elements of a device or devices you like.) Secondly, mundane coats of arms are not issued to families, but to individuals. By the end of our period they were being inherited, but even then they belonged to only one individual per generation.

          Coblaith
          <mailto:Athterath@...>
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8 6:52 AM
            On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
            > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
            > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
            > Faire activity.

            Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
            SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
            SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

            fesswise reversed sable.

          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8 8:33 AM
              > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
              > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
              > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
              > > Faire activity.
              >
              > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
              > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
              > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

              The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
              alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
              SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
              an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

              Either way, you go and have fun.

              Jerusha
            • chemistbb3
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8 12:40 PM
                Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
                acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
                who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
                of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
                parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
                unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
                once was as we can.

                William

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
                wrote:
                > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
                here
                > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
                by
                > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
                >
                > Either way, you go and have fun.
                >
                > Jerusha
              • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17 8:00 AM
                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
                  wrote:
                  <snip>

                  > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
                  here
                  > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
                  by
                  > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                  > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

                  I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
                  cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
                  They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
                  couldn't do!

                  'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
                  is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
                  question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
                  characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
                  that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
                  course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
                  in more than just the overview.

                  I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
                  the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
                  I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
                  should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
                  Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
                  couldn't do both.

                  My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
                  *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
                  to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

                  Eirene