Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Moira
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003
      <<Try www.sca.org, it should have contact info for most <<groups in the SCA
      (grouped by Kingdom).
      <<Susan

      I've tried this (I'm in Meridies) and went to the groups page, (I'm Shire of
      Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists. Google
      search points only to that exact same page.
      I went looking on Yahoo, and signed up for the Yahoo group for my Shire
      about 3 weeks ago, but have yet to be approved. I'm getting rather
      discouraged! I'd like to find out where fighter practice is, and meetings as
      well, but I'm stuck out of the loop. Any suggestions?

      Meredyth
    • Kaleyna
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003
        Hi Meredyth,

        Contact someone at your Kingdom's website. Also, are you close to any other
        areas? Any Barony? Contact them. Tell them your situation and ask for
        suggestions. They might know exactly what's going on with your Shire and
        know how you can either contact them or if there is another close by group
        you can join, etc.

        Kathy

        Kathy Laski
        Windermere Real Estate Company
        (206) 817-5372
        <mailto:KathyL@...> KathyL@...

        Search the largest database of listings in the West:
        <http://kathylaski.mywindermere.com/> http://kathylaski.mywindermere.com

      • Dave & Megan
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003
          Contact your Kingdom Seneschal. S/He will have the information for the current seneschal and be able to point you in the right direction. :)

          .
          I've tried this (I'm in Meridies) and went to the groups page, (I'm Shire of
          Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists. Google
          search points only to that exact same page.
          I went looking on Yahoo, and signed up for the Yahoo group for my Shire
          about 3 weeks ago, but have yet to be approved. I'm getting rather
          discouraged! I'd like to find out where fighter practice is, and meetings as
          well, but I'm stuck out of the loop. Any suggestions?

          Meredyth

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Dave & Megan
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2003
            Thirdly, my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is
            for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
            Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

            Specifically to this point. Unless you are the legal owner or heir to this crest, you don't have the heraldic right to display it. Regardless of what those shops in malls tell you it doesn't belong to the "family" it belongs to (a) specific person(s) within the family. You would be better off speaking with your local herald about creating a device of your own. Alternatively if you have some ideas and cannot contact your local herald you can try the alt.heraldry.sca newsgroup. I've gotten lots of good advice there. There is also a MidRealm specific heraldry list that will help you out.

            If you are going this route, I would recommend both of them at this point. :)

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2003
              On Saturday 06 September 2003 13:22, Dave & Megan wrote:
              > Contact your Kingdom Seneschal. S/He will have the information for the
              > current seneschal and be able to point you in the right direction. :)

              I can help! I'm the Database Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal, and I'm
              the person who maintains the online and printed listings of groups.

              Look here for the information you need:

              http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Northshield

              Welcome to the SCA!

              Database Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Moira
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2003
                I'll have to do this, I emailed the senechal for my kingdom, and haven't
                recieved a message.
                It's only been three days, so I'll be patient a bit longer. It's a mite
                frustrating though.

              • athterath@HotPOP.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2003
                  Meredyth wrote:
                  >. . .(I'm in Meridies). . .(I'm Shire of Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists.

                  Your kingdom's chatelaine <mailto:chatelaine@...> is there to help. She should be able to put you in touch with your local group.

                  In the meantime, the calendar on your kingdom's webpage <http://meridies.org/calendar.htm> should tell you of at least the big events in your area.

                  Coblaith
                  <mailto:Athterath@...>
                • sca_celt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 8, 2003
                    Greetings from Mistess Rayne - Meridies

                    I am so sorry that you have not been contacted yet, but allow
                    me to assist.

                    Dragonfly Marsh is part of the Consortium of the Southern Marches.
                    Here is their webpage.

                    http://www.geocities.com/consortium2/

                    The home telephone number for the Seneschale of Dragonfly Marsh is
                    listed on the above webpage under Consortium Shires. There is also
                    a direct email for her. The current Seneschale is THLady Kathryn
                    of Lindsey.

                    Meridies has a eGroup (like this one) on Yahoo. Located at:

                    Post message: meridian-ty@yahoogroups.com
                    Subscribe: meridian-ty-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    If you need any other help in anyway, please contact me directly at
                    SCA@...

                    Rayne