Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

  • Lee & Susan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6 9:11 AM
      Try www.sca.org, it should have contact info for most groups in the SCA
      (grouped by Kingdom).
      Susan

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Deb" <chrystol@...>
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 11:03 AM
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings and, help please?

      > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer. I have not yet attended
      > any meetings, mainly because I don't know where to go. I know I live
      > in the Principality of Northshield, Kingdom of Midrealm, and I think
      > I saw that Northshield is now becoming its own kingdom. Therefore,
      > who and where do I need to contact to get more information?
      >
      > Also, as for my personna: I have not yet determined that, either. I
      > do want to be a warrior (I am a woman, in my 40s, but that seems to
      > be ok here). Any suggestions as to what would be appropriate?
      >
      > Thirdly, my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is
      > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
      > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?
      >
      > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
      > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
      > Faire activity.
      >
      > Thank you in advance.
      >
      > Deb

    • Moira
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6 9:53 AM
        <<Try www.sca.org, it should have contact info for most <<groups in the SCA
        (grouped by Kingdom).
        <<Susan

        I've tried this (I'm in Meridies) and went to the groups page, (I'm Shire of
        Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists. Google
        search points only to that exact same page.
        I went looking on Yahoo, and signed up for the Yahoo group for my Shire
        about 3 weeks ago, but have yet to be approved. I'm getting rather
        discouraged! I'd like to find out where fighter practice is, and meetings as
        well, but I'm stuck out of the loop. Any suggestions?

        Meredyth
      • Kaleyna
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6 10:03 AM
          Hi Meredyth,

          Contact someone at your Kingdom's website. Also, are you close to any other
          areas? Any Barony? Contact them. Tell them your situation and ask for
          suggestions. They might know exactly what's going on with your Shire and
          know how you can either contact them or if there is another close by group
          you can join, etc.

          Kathy

          Kathy Laski
          Windermere Real Estate Company
          (206) 817-5372
          <mailto:KathyL@...> KathyL@...

          Search the largest database of listings in the West:
          <http://kathylaski.mywindermere.com/> http://kathylaski.mywindermere.com

        • Dave & Megan
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6 10:22 AM
            Contact your Kingdom Seneschal. S/He will have the information for the current seneschal and be able to point you in the right direction. :)

            .
            I've tried this (I'm in Meridies) and went to the groups page, (I'm Shire of
            Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists. Google
            search points only to that exact same page.
            I went looking on Yahoo, and signed up for the Yahoo group for my Shire
            about 3 weeks ago, but have yet to be approved. I'm getting rather
            discouraged! I'd like to find out where fighter practice is, and meetings as
            well, but I'm stuck out of the loop. Any suggestions?

            Meredyth

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Dave & Megan
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6 10:41 AM
              Thirdly, my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is
              for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
              Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

              Specifically to this point. Unless you are the legal owner or heir to this crest, you don't have the heraldic right to display it. Regardless of what those shops in malls tell you it doesn't belong to the "family" it belongs to (a) specific person(s) within the family. You would be better off speaking with your local herald about creating a device of your own. Alternatively if you have some ideas and cannot contact your local herald you can try the alt.heraldry.sca newsgroup. I've gotten lots of good advice there. There is also a MidRealm specific heraldry list that will help you out.

              If you are going this route, I would recommend both of them at this point. :)

            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8 6:51 AM
                On Saturday 06 September 2003 13:22, Dave & Megan wrote:
                > Contact your Kingdom Seneschal. S/He will have the information for the
                > current seneschal and be able to point you in the right direction. :)

                I can help! I'm the Database Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal, and I'm
                the person who maintains the online and printed listings of groups.

                Look here for the information you need:

                http://www.midrealm.org/seneschallorum/#Northshield

                Welcome to the SCA!

                Database Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • Moira
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8 7:10 AM
                  I'll have to do this, I emailed the senechal for my kingdom, and haven't
                  recieved a message.
                  It's only been three days, so I'll be patient a bit longer. It's a mite
                  frustrating though.

                • athterath@HotPOP.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 8 3:44 PM
                    Meredyth wrote:
                    >. . .(I'm in Meridies). . .(I'm Shire of Dragonfly Marsh) but the url for the page says it no longer exists.

                    Your kingdom's chatelaine <mailto:chatelaine@...> is there to help. She should be able to put you in touch with your local group.

                    In the meantime, the calendar on your kingdom's webpage <http://meridies.org/calendar.htm> should tell you of at least the big events in your area.

                    Coblaith
                    <mailto:Athterath@...>
                  • sca_celt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8 7:53 PM
                      Greetings from Mistess Rayne - Meridies

                      I am so sorry that you have not been contacted yet, but allow
                      me to assist.

                      Dragonfly Marsh is part of the Consortium of the Southern Marches.
                      Here is their webpage.

                      http://www.geocities.com/consortium2/

                      The home telephone number for the Seneschale of Dragonfly Marsh is
                      listed on the above webpage under Consortium Shires. There is also
                      a direct email for her. The current Seneschale is THLady Kathryn
                      of Lindsey.

                      Meridies has a eGroup (like this one) on Yahoo. Located at:

                      Post message: meridian-ty@yahoogroups.com
                      Subscribe: meridian-ty-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                      If you need any other help in anyway, please contact me directly at
                      SCA@...

                      Rayne