Greetings and, help please?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003
      Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer. I have not yet attended
      any meetings, mainly because I don't know where to go. I know I live
      in the Principality of Northshield, Kingdom of Midrealm, and I think
      I saw that Northshield is now becoming its own kingdom. Therefore,
      who and where do I need to contact to get more information?

      Also, as for my personna: I have not yet determined that, either. I
      do want to be a warrior (I am a woman, in my 40s, but that seems to
      be ok here). Any suggestions as to what would be appropriate?

      Thirdly, my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is
      for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
      Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

      I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
      think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
      Faire activity.

      Thank you in advance.

      Deb
    • Tirloch/ Scott Reardon
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003
        Deb wrote:

        > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer. I have not yet attended
        > any meetings, mainly because I don't know where to go. I know I live
        > in the Principality of Northshield, Kingdom of Midrealm, and I think
        > I saw that Northshield is now becoming its own kingdom. Therefore,
        > who and where do I need to contact to get more information?

        There is a Northshield web site at: http://www.northshield.org/
        If you click on groups, the modern names of the cities are located in
        parenthesis under the SCA name of the group.
        Or, if you tell us where you live, and what is the closest city to you,
        I am sure someone here could tell you which group to contact.

        > Also, as for my persona: I have not yet determined that, either. I
        > do want to be a warrior (I am a woman, in my 40s, but that seems to
        > be ok here). Any suggestions as to what would be appropriate?

        Any area would be appropriate as there was a lot of fighting happening
        all over. If you are looking for specific cultures they had women
        warriors, or at least didn't thoroughly discourage women from fighting,
        the celts, vikings, Mongols, and Bedouin (desert nomads) come to mind.
        But if you wish to be a French or English ot German lady who also fights
        that is more than acceptable.

        > Thirdly, my father has done a genealogy, and there is a crest that is
        > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or
        > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

        If I remember properly (I will ask a herald about this), you can use
        your family crest only if you are the member of the family line who has
        a legal authority to the device. For instance in my family that would be
        the oldest living male of direct decent. That honor belongs to a gentle
        in Ireland who is the head of the O'Riordain Clan. Generally people in
        the SCA create their own devices to use. My SCA device uses parts of my
        real family device, but is different enough to not offend. You may think
        about looking into something like that.

        Your Servant,

        Tirloch
        Chatelaine (new person contact) of the Barony of Jararvellir
      • Saraid ban-saorse
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003
          Welcome, Debbie!

          --- Tirloch/ Scott Reardon <tirloch@...> wrote:

          > Deb wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings all. I am, of course, a newcomer.

          > > Thirdly, my father has done a genealogy, and there is a
          > crest that is
          > > for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to
          > Runyon or
          > > Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that
          > crest?
          >
          > If I remember properly (I will ask a herald about this),
          > you can use
          > your family crest only if you are the member of the
          > family line who has
          > a legal authority to the device.

          > Generally people in
          > the SCA create their own devices to use. My SCA device
          > uses parts of my
          > real family device, but is different enough to not
          > offend. You may think
          > about looking into something like that.
          >
          > Your Servant,
          >
          > Tirloch
          > Chatelaine (new person contact) of the Barony of
          > Jararvellir

          You are correct. I, too, wished to use a specific device
          of my scottish clan (Young) particularly because it was a
          canting device -
          but ended up using elements from several devices spanning
          several hundred years. Another thing you have to remember
          is to be careful of duplicating someone else's
          SCA-registered device too closely. Example: the Young
          device features a sapling - I had to search for those to
          make sure my version differed enough from others. There
          are search engines linked to the SCA heraldry site you can
          use to check for charges, blazons, etc. although you herald
          should be able to help you with that sort of thing.

          yours aye,

          -BanCu (warrioress in training)

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • athterath@HotPOP.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2003

            Your principality's website <http://www.northshield.org/> would be the logical place. If you don't see everything you need there, just click on the gold key on a green background to find the Chatelaine's page, where you can request more info.

            >. . .my father has done a geneology, and there is a crest that is for the Rongion family. The name has been changed to Runyon or Runyan in the US. Is it appropriate for me to use that crest?

            No. Firstly, if you want to register your device in the SCA, it cannot be identical to any mundane (i.e., outside the SCA) device. (Though it can be similar to and/or incorporate elements of a device or devices you like.) Secondly, mundane coats of arms are not issued to families, but to individuals. By the end of our period they were being inherited, but even then they belonged to only one individual per generation.

            Coblaith
            <mailto:Athterath@...>
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
              On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
              > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
              > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
              > Faire activity.

              Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
              SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
              SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

              fesswise reversed sable.

            • Susan Farmer
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
                > On Saturday 06 September 2003 12:03, Deb wrote:
                > > I went to my first RenFaire a few weeks ago. It was great, but I
                > > think SCA will give me more of what I need, and does not preclude
                > > Faire activity.
                >
                > Absolutely! There is a lot of crossover activity between Ren Faire and
                > SCA. Lots of Rennies like to play in the SCA as a hobby, and lots of
                > SCAdians like to go to Ren Faires for fun, too.

                The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around here
                alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on" by
                SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

                Either way, you go and have fun.

                Jerusha
              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2003
                  Most of the Ren Fairs play to the patrons and their enjoyment. The
                  acts are staged, even the fights, to provide entertainment to those
                  who have paid the admission price. SCA events are for the enjoyment
                  of all event if we have to make our own entertainment. Yes, some
                  parts are scripted, but for the most part it is spontanious and
                  unrehearsed. Plus, for the most part, we make it as close to as it
                  once was as we can.

                  William

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
                  wrote:
                  > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
                  here
                  > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
                  by
                  > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                  > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)
                  >
                  > Either way, you go and have fun.
                  >
                  > Jerusha
                • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 17, 2003
                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Susan Farmer <sfarmer@s...>
                    wrote:
                    <snip>

                    > The Husband was enquiring as to the difference (seems like around
                    here
                    > alot of Rennies -- especially the fighters -- feel "looked down on"
                    by
                    > SCAdians). I told him "Ren Faire" was a spectator sport -- granted
                    > an interactive one; but the SCA is a Participant Sport. :-)

                    I don't know why SCAdians should "look down" on Rennies - in many
                    cases their costuming requirements are more stringent than ours.
                    They're doing a different "job" than we are, too - one that *I*
                    couldn't do!

                    'Most every time I tell people I'm in the SCA, the next question
                    is, "Do you go to the Renaissance Faire?", so I've answered this
                    question quite a bit - just last night as a matter of fact. I
                    characterize the Ren Faire as theatre, while the SCA is something
                    that we do for each other. That's the short to-the-public answer; of
                    course it's much deeper than that, but most people aren't interested
                    in more than just the overview.

                    I found the SCA at the Kansas City RenFest. I really like going to
                    the RenFest, but I go for different reasons than I go to SCA events.
                    I think that if people want to entertain or be entertained, they
                    should go to the RenFaire; if they want to learn about the Middle
                    Ages and Renaissance, go to the SCA. There's no reason why one person
                    couldn't do both.

                    My husband wants to go the the RenFaire wearing "ask me about the
                    *real* Middle Ages" buttons to publicise the SCA to people who went
                    to the RenFaire thinking they might be learning about the period. :-)

                    Eirene