Re: [SCA Newcomers] Linen

  • Kathy Johnson
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 4, 2003
      Regarding fabric.com, I have had great sucess buying from them,
      especially linen. Not only is the fabric of good quality but they use
      what they call the Phoenix yard or 39 inches instead of just 36. Kind
      of the baker's dozen way of doing things. If you are like me, you
      tend to buy in larger quantities for SCA stuff anyway and those three
      extra inches on each yard quickly add up! Plus their prices are very
      decent even after shipping. And shipping was quite fast too.
      WARNING! SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL PLUG FOLLOWS:
      And if you want free shipping on your first order, just put this
      number in the box labeled FOF on the order form: 13970010.
      (Yes, I will get a kickback of some kind but I don't remember what it
      is. I think I get something off my next order after so many or
      something like that. You can sign up for the referral program too,
      just see their website!)
      But I do like doing business with them.
      Kathryn

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Aine ingen MaelPatraic
      <aine_ingen_maelpatraic@y...> wrote:
      > > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:59:24 -0000
      > > From: chemistbb3
      > > Subject: Linen
      > >
      > > Since we are on the subject of fabric, does anybody
      > > have a source for
      > > linen they would recommend? I'm starting the
      > > process up upgrading my
      > > son's rapier armor and need a good source.
      > >
      > > William
      >
      > Greetings:
      >
      > Both <http://www.fabric.com> and
      > <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php> usually have
      > a good selection of linens in a variety of weights.
      >
      > /a
      >

      > =====
      > Aine ingen MaelPatraic
      > Barony of Jararvellir, Principality of Northshield
      > Kingdom of the Middle

      > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Veronica Young
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
        Linen, depending on the wieght is wonderfully cool, at least in my
        opinion it is. The linen I use is generally either 100% or the Linen
        looks from Joann's which is about 60/40 linen/rayon. Again it does
        depend on the weight of the linen how cool it is. I have never had a
        problem with my Linen chemises being scratchy, and they do soften up
        alot when they are washed. It is definatly acceptable to use a blend,
        after all, all that is required to attend an event is an ATTEMPT at pre
        16th century clothing. As for how it wears, My linen wears aboslutly
        beautifully, and from my experience it helps keep me slightly cooler
        than my cotten shifts.

        As for cotten being not period, well thats not exactly true. There are
        two regions that I can think of that grew cotton, Egypt (please correct
        me if I'm wrong on this on) and India. Cotton was know throughout the
        middle East and Europe, but where in Europe you are will determine the
        price and quantity available. For instance, Southern Europe, mainly
        Itally and Spain, would have had a fair amount of cotton available to
        them thanks to the proximity to the middle east, and the major trade
        centers within Itally itself; whereas in northern Europe cotton would
        not have been nearly as plentiful, and it would have been much more
        expensive. Also another note on the Cotton in period, the weave would
        have been much different than what is available today.

        Lady Veronica...or Lady Merewyn
        Winters Gate

      • Alison Choyce
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
          From: Tia

          <<I want to make a T-Tunic Dress for my first event....Many of the
          sources I have read on clothing say to use Linen. I have never worked
          with Linen, but i tromped over to the Local Joanne fabrics to see what
          it was like..(after fainting at the cost).. I noted it seem stiff &
          possibley scratchy. I know Linen softens as its washed & used I hope
          that is true lol>>

          <<Ok I guess my question is how does Linen wear? is it hot? I know
          Cotton isnt period....but it can be cooler.>>

          <<Is a linen cotton blend acceptable? How does it wear?>>

          OK. Great questions. I'll start with comfort. Linen is much cooler than cotton on hot/humid days. It wicks moisture away from the skin and breathes. Cotton, I have found, does not do this well at all, it tends to cling to the skin. I have started, since learning about linen in the SCA, to buy linen mundane clothes whenever possible for summer wear. I am so much more comfortable. Wool is also more comfortable than cotton, when you have the correct weight. Obviously you wouldn't want coat weight wool on a hot summer day. That's why "tropical weight wool" exists, it is more comfortable than cotton.

          Linen does wash up to be quite soft and comfortable. You DO want to prewash your fabrics in hot water before cutting them, this will soften it up. I think the modern era idea that linen is scratchy comes from our unfamiliarity with the fiber.

          Look on-line for prices, there are stores, whose stock varies one day to the next, who carry linen at great prices. I would also say to look at light weight wools, they may be very nicely priced at this time of year.

          Yes, you can go with a linen/cotton blend. It usually costs a little less than 100% linen, but you get the characteristics of cotton then as well. Cotton holds onto water (perspiration), stays damp, clings, and doesn't breathe as well.

          On the flip side of all this though is the cost factor. Cotton is less expensive, is a natural fiber (burns less well than man-made fiber), and is easy to find in stores. For a first piece of garb, that may not be such a bad thing.

          Hope this helps, and enjoy!

          Alison Wodehalle

        • Scarlett
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
            Tia,

            Never think cotton isn't period. It was simply VERY expensive to be gotten in Europe. It was very prevelant in Egypt (as in Egyptian cotton) and was used there quite often. It would have looked a bit different than what you get today, but to be totally honest, cotton is like $1.99 a yard (here in Houston at least) and linen is like $8.00. To me there's no contest. Use the cotton, be comfortable and tell anyone who says cotton isn't period that it is and they can check the Egyptian markets in the southern parts of Italy if they want some. (hehehe)

            In Service to the Dream,
            Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
            Maria Buchanan
            Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
            Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            281-433-0347

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
              Tia,
              Use what you can find for fabric (avoid synthetics for
              the fire reason and the really not period at all
              reason), but otherwise, use what you can get your
              hands on. I found 6 yards of real non-synthetic satin
              for $1 a yard and you bet ya, I bought it and made a
              gorgeous dress. They had satin in period, but my
              persona would have never been able to afford it.
              That's the joy of SCA, you can bend the rules when it
              comes to clothes to suit you. (at least as long as
              you're not trying to put it into an A&S competition).

              My favorite answer to the "Your garb isn't period"
              comment is "Did you use a sewing machine to make
              yours?...Because I hand sew everything I wear and my
              boyfriend wears." (I don't use a machine because I
              never learned how and chewed up some really good
              fabric. I hate them and you can't carry it around with
              you like a box of needles and thread...It has nothing
              to do with periodness, but it sure shuts people up
              quick...my boyfriend used it this past weekend at an
              event and the woman was speechless.
              ~Isabel
              (MKA Janet)
              Falcon's Quarry
              Middle Kingdom

              http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 20, 2005
                In a message dated 4/18/2005 5:16:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                teedle77@... writes:

                <<I want to make a T-Tunic Dress for my first event....Many of the
                sources I have read on clothing say to use Linen. I have never worked
                with Linen, but i tromped over to the Local Joanne fabrics to see what
                it was like..(after fainting at the cost).. I noted it seem stiff &
                possibley scratchy. I know Linen softens as its washed & used I hope
                that is true lol>>

                You can buy it much cheaper online - as little as $5-6/yard sometimes. Try
                fabrics-store.com - they usually have good stuff, and will send you swatches
                so you know how heavy say, 5 oz linen is. Linen as sold is stiff because
                it's got all sorts of sizing in it. Wash it an dry it a few times and it will
                soften up nicely.

                <<Ok I guess my question is how does Linen wear? is it hot? I know
                Cotton isnt period....but it can be cooler.>>

                Linen wears very well, and it's the absolutely best fabric you can find for
                hot humid weather. Better even than cotton.

                <<Is a linen cotton blend acceptable? How does it wear?>>

                Sure it's acceptable. I find it a little rougher than linen and not as
                inclined to soften up, but that may be just an artifact of the little bit of it
                that I've used.

                Lancaster, PA

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                  In a message dated 8/20/2007 12:02:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  emily.clark@... writes:

                  <<Anyway, I was looking at fabric-store.com and
                  there's different weights of the fabric....what does that mean? Is it
                  the amount of strings per inch or something, that makes it heavier or
                  thicker or something? Confused...>>

                  It is an actual measurement of the weight of the fabric, but I forget for
                  how big a piece. And yes, it does have to do with the thickness. 3.5 oz,
                  which is usually the lightest they sell, is pretty good for veils and good for
                  undergarments.
                  "Handkerchief linen" is usually lighter than 3.5 oz and makes good veils or
                  things that need to be somewhat sheer, but isnot suitable for something
                  that's going to be worn as a single layer. 5 oz works well for outer garments;
                  anything heavier than that would be good for something that is going to take a
                  lot of stress such as armor or equestrian clothing.
                  Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so you
                  could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand as a
                  reminder.

                  Lancaster, PA

                • Jason K. Burnett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                    On 8/20/07, bronwynmgn@... <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:

                    > Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so you
                    > could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand as a
                    > reminder.
                    >

                    > Brangwayna Morgan
                    > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                    > Lancaster, PA

                    I just went to fabric-store.com, one of their pre-made sets of fabric
                    swatches is samples of different weights of linen ranging from 3.5 oz
                    to 7.1 oz! (Incidentally, their description lists these weights
                    oz/yd., I guess now the question is what width they use when measuring
                    weight per yard.)

                    Jason (still working on choosing a society name)
                    Barony of Nordskogen, Kingdom of Northshield
                    Minneapolis MN
                  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                      At 12:59 PM 8/20/2007, you wrote:
                      >5 oz works well for outer garments;
                      >anything heavier than that would be good for something that is going
                      >to take a
                      >lot of stress such as armor or equestrian clothing.

                      I had two linen tunics I wore at Pennsic. One was 5 oz, and was ( I
                      think) the perfect weight. The other was 7 oz (the weight is measure
                      per square yard) and it was a bit too heavy. I was afraid it might
                      be, but I was so in love with the color...

                      Anyway, yes, 5 oz linen is perfect for outer garments.

                      Laurensa
                    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                        sylance123 wrote:
                        > I was looking at fabric-store.com and there's different weights of the
                        > fabric....what does that mean? Is it the amount of strings per inch or
                        > something, that makes it heavier or thicker or something?

                        Brangwayna Morgan
                        > Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so
                        > you could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand
                        > as a
                        > reminder.

                        Fabrics-store.com will actually send you as many swatches as you want
                        for free. You just have to request them 5 (or fewer) at a time.

                        They have for comparison purposes a pre-made swatch card that has all
                        the available weights of linen in white
                        <http://www.fabric-store.com/first.php?goto=banner_freesample&start=1>.
                        Ask for that.

                        Then select some colors to request at different weights, so you can see
                        how much more opaque they are when pigmented. Just choose a weight
                        <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?
                        goto=fabric_type&menu=f&fabric_type=1>, then click on the little
                        jagged-edged rectangle icons next to the colors you want. They'll put
                        them on a card together. If you want more than five, send through the
                        request for the first five and then start over.

                        They have four weights that come in a range of colors--3.5, 5.3, 6, and
                        7.1 ounces. They all come in black and natural as well as white, and a
                        card with all four in black would give you a good "opposite end of the
                        scale" where opacity is concerned. There isn't any other color they
                        all share, but you can get similar colors (all medium reds, for
                        instance) in all four, or compare pairs of colors (Green Apple in 3.5-
                        and 5.3-ounce, Crimson in 5.3- and 6-ounce, Cobalt in 6- and 7.1-ounce,
                        for example) to see how they fare in between. If you're especially
                        fond of, say, rich shades, or bright shades, you might want to focus on
                        those types of colors. (How much you can see through a piece of yellow
                        linen and a piece of brown linen, if they're equally heavy, is quite
                        different.)

                        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                      • Elizabeth Cember
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                          It's the thickness of the threads. Your best bet will be 5.3oz linen which will be suitable for most dresses. 3.5 or handkerchief linen will be helpful in smaller quantities for veils.

                          Elspeth

                          I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
                          I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                            At 01:22 PM 8/20/2007, you wrote:
                            >(Incidentally, their description lists these weights
                            >oz/yd., I guess now the question is what width they use when measuring
                            >weight per yard.)

                            The weight is based on a square yard--a piece measuring 36" on each side.

                            Laurensa