Re: [SCA Newcomers] Linen

  • Aine ingen MaelPatraic
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2003
      > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:59:24 -0000
      > From: chemistbb3
      > Subject: Linen
      >
      > Since we are on the subject of fabric, does anybody
      > have a source for
      > linen they would recommend? I'm starting the
      > process up upgrading my
      > son's rapier armor and need a good source.
      >
      > William

      Greetings:

      Both <http://www.fabric.com> and
      <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php> usually have
      a good selection of linens in a variety of weights.

      /a

      =====
      Aine ingen MaelPatraic
      Barony of Jararvellir, Principality of Northshield
      Kingdom of the Middle

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2003
        Thank You

        William

        -- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Aine ingen MaelPatraic
        <aine_ingen_maelpatraic@y...> wrote:
        > > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:59:24 -0000
        > > From: chemistbb3
        > > Subject: Linen
        > >
        > > Since we are on the subject of fabric, does anybody
        > > have a source for
        > > linen they would recommend? I'm starting the
        > > process up upgrading my
        > > son's rapier armor and need a good source.
        > >
        > > William
        >
        > Greetings:
        >
        > Both <http://www.fabric.com> and
        > <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php> usually have
        > a good selection of linens in a variety of weights.
        >
        > /a
        >

        > =====
        > Aine ingen MaelPatraic
        > Barony of Jararvellir, Principality of Northshield
        > Kingdom of the Middle

        > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Kathy Johnson
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2003
          Regarding fabric.com, I have had great sucess buying from them,
          especially linen. Not only is the fabric of good quality but they use
          what they call the Phoenix yard or 39 inches instead of just 36. Kind
          of the baker's dozen way of doing things. If you are like me, you
          tend to buy in larger quantities for SCA stuff anyway and those three
          extra inches on each yard quickly add up! Plus their prices are very
          decent even after shipping. And shipping was quite fast too.
          WARNING! SHAMELESS COMMERCIAL PLUG FOLLOWS:
          And if you want free shipping on your first order, just put this
          number in the box labeled FOF on the order form: 13970010.
          (Yes, I will get a kickback of some kind but I don't remember what it
          is. I think I get something off my next order after so many or
          something like that. You can sign up for the referral program too,
          just see their website!)
          But I do like doing business with them.
          Kathryn

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Aine ingen MaelPatraic
          <aine_ingen_maelpatraic@y...> wrote:
          > > Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:59:24 -0000
          > > From: chemistbb3
          > > Subject: Linen
          > >
          > > Since we are on the subject of fabric, does anybody
          > > have a source for
          > > linen they would recommend? I'm starting the
          > > process up upgrading my
          > > son's rapier armor and need a good source.
          > >
          > > William
          >
          > Greetings:
          >
          > Both <http://www.fabric.com> and
          > <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php> usually have
          > a good selection of linens in a variety of weights.
          >
          > /a
          >

          > =====
          > Aine ingen MaelPatraic
          > Barony of Jararvellir, Principality of Northshield
          > Kingdom of the Middle

          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Veronica Young
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
            Linen, depending on the wieght is wonderfully cool, at least in my
            opinion it is. The linen I use is generally either 100% or the Linen
            looks from Joann's which is about 60/40 linen/rayon. Again it does
            depend on the weight of the linen how cool it is. I have never had a
            problem with my Linen chemises being scratchy, and they do soften up
            alot when they are washed. It is definatly acceptable to use a blend,
            after all, all that is required to attend an event is an ATTEMPT at pre
            16th century clothing. As for how it wears, My linen wears aboslutly
            beautifully, and from my experience it helps keep me slightly cooler
            than my cotten shifts.

            As for cotten being not period, well thats not exactly true. There are
            two regions that I can think of that grew cotton, Egypt (please correct
            me if I'm wrong on this on) and India. Cotton was know throughout the
            middle East and Europe, but where in Europe you are will determine the
            price and quantity available. For instance, Southern Europe, mainly
            Itally and Spain, would have had a fair amount of cotton available to
            them thanks to the proximity to the middle east, and the major trade
            centers within Itally itself; whereas in northern Europe cotton would
            not have been nearly as plentiful, and it would have been much more
            expensive. Also another note on the Cotton in period, the weave would
            have been much different than what is available today.

            Lady Veronica...or Lady Merewyn
            Winters Gate

          • Alison Choyce
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
              From: Tia

              <<I want to make a T-Tunic Dress for my first event....Many of the
              sources I have read on clothing say to use Linen. I have never worked
              with Linen, but i tromped over to the Local Joanne fabrics to see what
              it was like..(after fainting at the cost).. I noted it seem stiff &
              possibley scratchy. I know Linen softens as its washed & used I hope
              that is true lol>>

              <<Ok I guess my question is how does Linen wear? is it hot? I know
              Cotton isnt period....but it can be cooler.>>

              <<Is a linen cotton blend acceptable? How does it wear?>>

              OK. Great questions. I'll start with comfort. Linen is much cooler than cotton on hot/humid days. It wicks moisture away from the skin and breathes. Cotton, I have found, does not do this well at all, it tends to cling to the skin. I have started, since learning about linen in the SCA, to buy linen mundane clothes whenever possible for summer wear. I am so much more comfortable. Wool is also more comfortable than cotton, when you have the correct weight. Obviously you wouldn't want coat weight wool on a hot summer day. That's why "tropical weight wool" exists, it is more comfortable than cotton.

              Linen does wash up to be quite soft and comfortable. You DO want to prewash your fabrics in hot water before cutting them, this will soften it up. I think the modern era idea that linen is scratchy comes from our unfamiliarity with the fiber.

              Look on-line for prices, there are stores, whose stock varies one day to the next, who carry linen at great prices. I would also say to look at light weight wools, they may be very nicely priced at this time of year.

              Yes, you can go with a linen/cotton blend. It usually costs a little less than 100% linen, but you get the characteristics of cotton then as well. Cotton holds onto water (perspiration), stays damp, clings, and doesn't breathe as well.

              On the flip side of all this though is the cost factor. Cotton is less expensive, is a natural fiber (burns less well than man-made fiber), and is easy to find in stores. For a first piece of garb, that may not be such a bad thing.

              Hope this helps, and enjoy!

              Alison Wodehalle

            • Scarlett
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
                Tia,

                Never think cotton isn't period. It was simply VERY expensive to be gotten in Europe. It was very prevelant in Egypt (as in Egyptian cotton) and was used there quite often. It would have looked a bit different than what you get today, but to be totally honest, cotton is like $1.99 a yard (here in Houston at least) and linen is like $8.00. To me there's no contest. Use the cotton, be comfortable and tell anyone who says cotton isn't period that it is and they can check the Egyptian markets in the southern parts of Italy if they want some. (hehehe)

                In Service to the Dream,
                Lady Elizabetta "Maria" de Medici
                Maria Buchanan
                Hospitaler - Barony of the Stargate
                Hospitaler - Shire of Gate's Edge
                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                281-433-0347

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 18, 2005
                  Tia,
                  Use what you can find for fabric (avoid synthetics for
                  the fire reason and the really not period at all
                  reason), but otherwise, use what you can get your
                  hands on. I found 6 yards of real non-synthetic satin
                  for $1 a yard and you bet ya, I bought it and made a
                  gorgeous dress. They had satin in period, but my
                  persona would have never been able to afford it.
                  That's the joy of SCA, you can bend the rules when it
                  comes to clothes to suit you. (at least as long as
                  you're not trying to put it into an A&S competition).

                  My favorite answer to the "Your garb isn't period"
                  comment is "Did you use a sewing machine to make
                  yours?...Because I hand sew everything I wear and my
                  boyfriend wears." (I don't use a machine because I
                  never learned how and chewed up some really good
                  fabric. I hate them and you can't carry it around with
                  you like a box of needles and thread...It has nothing
                  to do with periodness, but it sure shuts people up
                  quick...my boyfriend used it this past weekend at an
                  event and the woman was speechless.
                  ~Isabel
                  (MKA Janet)
                  Falcon's Quarry
                  Middle Kingdom

                  http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2005
                    In a message dated 4/18/2005 5:16:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    teedle77@... writes:

                    <<I want to make a T-Tunic Dress for my first event....Many of the
                    sources I have read on clothing say to use Linen. I have never worked
                    with Linen, but i tromped over to the Local Joanne fabrics to see what
                    it was like..(after fainting at the cost).. I noted it seem stiff &
                    possibley scratchy. I know Linen softens as its washed & used I hope
                    that is true lol>>

                    You can buy it much cheaper online - as little as $5-6/yard sometimes. Try
                    fabrics-store.com - they usually have good stuff, and will send you swatches
                    so you know how heavy say, 5 oz linen is. Linen as sold is stiff because
                    it's got all sorts of sizing in it. Wash it an dry it a few times and it will
                    soften up nicely.

                    <<Ok I guess my question is how does Linen wear? is it hot? I know
                    Cotton isnt period....but it can be cooler.>>

                    Linen wears very well, and it's the absolutely best fabric you can find for
                    hot humid weather. Better even than cotton.

                    <<Is a linen cotton blend acceptable? How does it wear?>>

                    Sure it's acceptable. I find it a little rougher than linen and not as
                    inclined to soften up, but that may be just an artifact of the little bit of it
                    that I've used.

                    Lancaster, PA

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                      In a message dated 8/20/2007 12:02:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      emily.clark@... writes:

                      <<Anyway, I was looking at fabric-store.com and
                      there's different weights of the fabric....what does that mean? Is it
                      the amount of strings per inch or something, that makes it heavier or
                      thicker or something? Confused...>>

                      It is an actual measurement of the weight of the fabric, but I forget for
                      how big a piece. And yes, it does have to do with the thickness. 3.5 oz,
                      which is usually the lightest they sell, is pretty good for veils and good for
                      undergarments.
                      "Handkerchief linen" is usually lighter than 3.5 oz and makes good veils or
                      things that need to be somewhat sheer, but isnot suitable for something
                      that's going to be worn as a single layer. 5 oz works well for outer garments;
                      anything heavier than that would be good for something that is going to take a
                      lot of stress such as armor or equestrian clothing.
                      Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so you
                      could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand as a
                      reminder.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Jason K. Burnett
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                        On 8/20/07, bronwynmgn@... <bronwynmgn@...> wrote:

                        > Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so you
                        > could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand as a
                        > reminder.
                        >

                        > Brangwayna Morgan
                        > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
                        > Lancaster, PA

                        I just went to fabric-store.com, one of their pre-made sets of fabric
                        swatches is samples of different weights of linen ranging from 3.5 oz
                        to 7.1 oz! (Incidentally, their description lists these weights
                        oz/yd., I guess now the question is what width they use when measuring
                        weight per yard.)

                        Jason (still working on choosing a society name)
                        Barony of Nordskogen, Kingdom of Northshield
                        Minneapolis MN
                      • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                          At 12:59 PM 8/20/2007, you wrote:
                          >5 oz works well for outer garments;
                          >anything heavier than that would be good for something that is going
                          >to take a
                          >lot of stress such as armor or equestrian clothing.

                          I had two linen tunics I wore at Pennsic. One was 5 oz, and was ( I
                          think) the perfect weight. The other was 7 oz (the weight is measure
                          per square yard) and it was a bit too heavy. I was afraid it might
                          be, but I was so in love with the color...

                          Anyway, yes, 5 oz linen is perfect for outer garments.

                          Laurensa
                        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                            sylance123 wrote:
                            > I was looking at fabric-store.com and there's different weights of the
                            > fabric....what does that mean? Is it the amount of strings per inch or
                            > something, that makes it heavier or thicker or something?

                            Brangwayna Morgan
                            > Fabrics-store.com will send you a certain number of free swatches, so
                            > you could ask for swatches of each weight so you can have them on hand
                            > as a
                            > reminder.

                            Fabrics-store.com will actually send you as many swatches as you want
                            for free. You just have to request them 5 (or fewer) at a time.

                            They have for comparison purposes a pre-made swatch card that has all
                            the available weights of linen in white
                            <http://www.fabric-store.com/first.php?goto=banner_freesample&start=1>.
                            Ask for that.

                            Then select some colors to request at different weights, so you can see
                            how much more opaque they are when pigmented. Just choose a weight
                            <http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php?
                            goto=fabric_type&menu=f&fabric_type=1>, then click on the little
                            jagged-edged rectangle icons next to the colors you want. They'll put
                            them on a card together. If you want more than five, send through the
                            request for the first five and then start over.

                            They have four weights that come in a range of colors--3.5, 5.3, 6, and
                            7.1 ounces. They all come in black and natural as well as white, and a
                            card with all four in black would give you a good "opposite end of the
                            scale" where opacity is concerned. There isn't any other color they
                            all share, but you can get similar colors (all medium reds, for
                            instance) in all four, or compare pairs of colors (Green Apple in 3.5-
                            and 5.3-ounce, Crimson in 5.3- and 6-ounce, Cobalt in 6- and 7.1-ounce,
                            for example) to see how they fare in between. If you're especially
                            fond of, say, rich shades, or bright shades, you might want to focus on
                            those types of colors. (How much you can see through a piece of yellow
                            linen and a piece of brown linen, if they're equally heavy, is quite
                            different.)

                            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                            Kingdom of Ansteorra
                            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                          • Elizabeth Cember
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                              It's the thickness of the threads. Your best bet will be 5.3oz linen which will be suitable for most dresses. 3.5 or handkerchief linen will be helpful in smaller quantities for veils.

                              Elspeth

                              I bring myself happiness by surrounding myself with beautiful things;
                              I bring myself joy by trying to see the beauty in all things.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
                                At 01:22 PM 8/20/2007, you wrote:
                                >(Incidentally, their description lists these weights
                                >oz/yd., I guess now the question is what width they use when measuring
                                >weight per yard.)

                                The weight is based on a square yard--a piece measuring 36" on each side.

                                Laurensa