Fw: Fw: Viking Apron Dresses

  • wambat13@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      This is some really great info. It is easy to understand and the
      graphics are simple and well done. Thank you to Halla for sharing and to
      Lady Morwenna for creating this useful rescource!!
      Gilia

      Hi Gilia! I wrote to the gal who owns that site with the Viking dresses
      we admire so.. (the pics) and I thought I would share her letter with you
      :0)
      Halla
      Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 3:53 AM
      Subject: Re: Viking Apron Dresses

      Greetings Lady Halla Eyvaldsdottir,

      Thank you for your kind words, I always enjoy comments (nice ones) about
      my site and costume questions. So you've just made my day.

      For the red linnen version I
      used http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/apdress.jpg, but one quite

      similar is http://www.meridies.org/as/dmir/Costume&Fashion/0945.html .
      To be honest, I do like both my viking apron dresses, but I am still
      looking for a better way to construct them.
      The wool version is more elegant in cut, but I used a wool which is too
      thick, too stiff, it's not as elegant as it can be with a thinner
      fabric.
      A good friend of mine made a version based upon the same pattern as the
      red
      wool version and it is extremely beautifull. She used a thin wool and
      altered the pattern a little, she couldn't explain to me by mail or phone

      just what she has done, so when I have time I will take a look at it
      myself.

      Tips use thin, nicely flowing fabric! Wool was problably the most perod
      choice for the overdress, but linen was used too, and in my opion more
      comfortable.
      If you van get your hands an a copy of The Compleat Anachronist # 59,
      Women's Garb in Northern Europe 450-1000 c.e. , I found it very helpful.

      Affordable brooches and other jewellery, Sir Raymond's Quiet
      Press http://www.quietpress.com/ !

      When I get round to making the new and improved version of my apron dress
      will post it on my website.
      And I would love to see a picture of your outfit.

      If you have more questions please feel free to email me.

      In service,

      Lady Morwenna of Morwenstow
      The Shire of Polderslot
      Drachenwald (Europe)