Re: [SCA Newcomers] Documenting

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2003
      In a message dated 8/29/2003 10:53:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Not to say that documentation is not a good thing, it does show that
      > something did exist, but not necessarily that it didn't.

      It's impossible to prove a negative ie that something did not exist.

      There is some documentation for what poorer people were doing; it's just
      harder to find. For instance, it's possible to find coroner's records dating back
      to the 12th century in England, that detail the circumstances of all
      suspicious deaths, whether of rich or poor. There are also manorial court rolls that
      detail all court interactions of those who owed suit to the manor - basically
      all the serfs and cover everything from fights to unrepaid debts to whose cow
      was in who else's field. Also, there are manuals for local priests which have
      ideas and complete texts for sermons on various topics (which iof course
      would be preaching against common practices that the church didn't like) and on
      appropriate penances for various sins - again , things that people were likely
      doing. Some ofthe medical texts of the time mention comon remedies, some of
      which are holdover form pagan practices, Christianized by adding the name of
      Jesus or a saint into the incantation.
      Oh, and I know that Eastern Europe was the last area to be Christianized, and
      some of them were still pagan (Lithuania, I think) in the 13th century, so if
      you want to be a historically accurate practicing pagan, head for Eastern
      Europe...