french christmas customs

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2003
      Does anyone know what the christmas customs in early 16th century
      France would have been? Specifically around 1516?
      Thanks,
      Sarah
    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2003
        Maybe some of thse sites will help:

        French Christmas Customs – from the French Embassy
        http://www.info-france-usa.org/atoz/noel1.asp

        From Ask Oxford
        http://www.askoxford.com/languages/culturevulture/france/frenchxmas/

        The French region of Alsace is long on Christmas tradition; the town
        of Sélestat calls itself the Christmas tree town because in 1521 the
        first written record of the selling of a Christmas tree is recorded
        in the local Humanistic Library.
        http://www.americansinfrance.net/Culture/Christmas.cfm
        (This one I knew because my mundane first name is Alsace-Lorraine.
        Mother made sure I knew the history of my name-sake) :-)

        FRANCE "Joyeux Noëll"
        http://www.californiamall.com/holidaytraditions/traditions-France.htm

        Christmas Traditions in France and in Canada – has a Middle Ages
        Section
        http://www.culture.fr/culture/noel/angl/noel.htm

        Hope these help.

        Rayne