Re: [SCA Newcomers] Is this attitude common?

  • Omar Bailey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
      >Hear Hear! I have only been involved for a few weeks, but I agree. I think
      >that It might be fun to be an elf or a Samuri, but If the times, or the
      >geography do not fit, then these people should find one of the other groups
      >out there.
      >Jason

      But that makes it tricky. Who is the final say on what is appropriate for
      geography?

      Elves are a no-go, they are fantasy. Thats all right out. But, how far
      away from europe is allowed? Do we draw the line at the european continent?
      The middle east? The line between the middle east and far east? How
      about russia? North africa? How far into africa is allowable by geography?

      And, again, who has the final say?

      I think its up to the individual and the groups to decide what is
      appropriate, based on the scope of the society. Samurai, native americans,
      and zulu's are far fetched.. but remember.. there was contact with China
      through the silk road. China and Japan did have contact. Lief Ericson
      visited north america, and there was a colony established within our
      perieod. Muslim invaders got quite a ways into africa. Whos to say they
      didnt make it across the continent?

      For some reason, I recall a movie made of Pennic 21? It was in '91. They
      did an interview with a guy from the Great Dark Horde about the origins of
      the group, and how opposed everyone was to a mongol group being allowed to
      play. They didnt go away anymore than the real mongols did..

      This purist attitude probably wont go away either. You just have to draw
      the line somehwere.