Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Cross Culture - Byzantine

  • Omar Bailey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
      >Omar mentioned his Kingdom's Crown List and the need for having a
      >registered name and device. FYI: This requirement is not consistant
      >throughout Kingdoms (some require it, some don't).

      Its a new thing for us, I believe.. its getting alot of publicity on the
      lists for it to be an old custom.

      >Don't know if your Crown List is coming up fast, so a suggestion to
      >meet this requirement is to register "Omar of... something" (i.e.
      >your group, a town, etc.) as a holding name. You can check with the
      >College of Herald's, but last I knew "holding names" were
      >considered "registered names". AND as current Royal you most likely
      >would use only your first name anyways. Then you can spend more time
      >researching a "last name" you like.
      >
      >Just an idea.
      >
      >Rayne

      A very good idea, I will be sure to ask.

      Thanks again,

      Omar

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
        Just another idea to help with the name search, you can go to
        http://oanda.sca.org/ and see what other names have been registered
        with "Omar".

        Just click on the "Name Search Form" and then type in Omar in the box
        and click Search. Then go to the bottom of the page and click on
        either "all names containing the word "omar" or "all names beginning
        with "omar".

        Just remember that ONE: This site is not current. Someone could have
        passed something yesterday for all we know and TWO: Just because
        something passed yesterday or last week or last year, DOES NOT MEAN
        it will pass today or tomorrow. SCA (like most things) grows,
        evolves, morphs, etc.

        And about your Crown List... it might be a "new thing" and it might
        be a "just this Crown List" thing. In Meridies, we had a Crown that
        required the participants have a "submitted name and device" to fight
        in the Crown List. The Crown that came after him, did not require
        such. Each Crown can make "their own" rules of participation,
        fighting styles, weapon choices, etc.

        Rayne