Re: new persona, where to start?

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
      Welcomr to Ansteorra!

      For names, head for the Academy of St. Gaberial(sp?). If you are
      accessing the Group fron the website, use the links section on the
      left side of the home page. It also has some garb links.

      By norman-anglo , I take it you mean the Normans in England after
      1066. Remenber these Normans came to England from France and would
      have used some French elements on their names.

      Steppes is a good, active group. You should be able to get some good
      help from them.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "ghypscee1972" <ghypscee@a...>
      wrote:
      > hello and HELP ! i am a newbie in so many ways it is pitiful and i
      > hope you take that into account if or when you read this long email.
      >
      > first, this is my first yahoo group or mass group anything and i
      > hope i am doing this correctly and not mass emailing a bunch of
      > people. second, i just heard about sca, not even 8 hours ago and
      > here i am at almost 3 in the morning writing and learning as much
      as
      > possible about it.
      >
      > here is why i am writing...
      > i wanted to create a persona from the norman conquest thereby
      making
      > my persona norman-anglo and i want her to have an english given
      name
      > and a french last name. the reason i chose this era is because it
      > is the area (england) i know the most about and a time period that
      > interests me. i am in between paychecks (only paid once a month)
      > and can't affort to get any books for a few weeks; however, i will
      > be going to a library asap. since i have started this persona and
      > don't want to get attached and find out i have it totally wrong,
      > would one of you wonderful, nice souls give me some guidance?
      >
      > the norman conquest occurred in 1066, but the given name i found
      and
      > liked, kiena or kinna, is welsh and dates from about 1300 (though
      no
      > one said it couldn't have existed earlier). would i
      > run into some problems with the name if i use it during the 11th
      > century? i am still considering the french last name. also, any
      > advice on finding info on the garb during this time period?
      >
      > last, is there anyone out there who has a persona from this time
      > period, preferably one that is norman-anglo, that could give me any
      > guidance? is there anyone out there from the dallas area? for
      that
      > matter, i will take any and all help i can get.
      > i have already joined the sca newsletter for the barony of steppes
      > (dallas). thanks for any help or just some encouragement!
      > kristy
    • ghypscee1972
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
        well, the thing is, the character is norman-anglo being from a
        norman father and english mother not long after the norman conquest
        of the anglo-saxons in 1066. the english fought the normans and
        weren't particulary happy to be "conquered", but they did eventually
        accept it, although begrudgingly. most, if not all, of the titled
        anglos were stripped of their titles, if they actually lived through
        the "war", and king william gave the titles and propertites to his
        own men based on william's criteria. obviously this is the
        simplified version of events, but the english and norman (northern
        france)cultures clashed and eventually meshed into one.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Avalonthas" <avalonthas@c...>
        wrote:
        When I
        > joined, I had a name I wanted, and I got one VERY close to what I
        wanted,
        > when I went to June Crown, here in Sunny California. I won't say
        what that
        > name is here, because I don't want to jinx my getting it
        approved. Anyway,
        > from everything I've read on the various SCA lists I am on, and
        someone
        > please correct me if I'm in error here, is that if you are going
        to have an
        > English name, then your whole name would be English. The name I
        have is
        > English, and I have to figure out how to work up a persona around
        that.
        > The earliest the name is recorded is in the 1100's. Which is
        another
        > reason, I'm pretty sure that your first and last names would be of
        the same
        > nationality, because after getting my first name, they narrowed my
        choices
        > down for my surname into English only.
        > But, again, Welcome to the SCA, and I hope you enjoy your stay.
      • Rhiannon Beauchamp
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          I am new to the SCA as well, about 2 months, and I was told by my local
          herald that as long as you can prove it then you should be able to get it
          passed. My name that I am submitimg is English and French during the Tudor
          period and I found the documents to support it. Basically if they had any
          interaction then you should be fine.

          The SCA has some great links to name sites. I found mine here:

          http://www.s-gabriel.org

          And this is a SCA approved site so I was told if it's here then you don't
          have to get the documents on it. Also remember if your name is taken you
          will have to either change it some or all together. So don't get to set on a
          name.

          Congrats on finding the SCA, I am always amazed at the wonderful people that
          are here.

          Rhiannon