Cross Culture - Byzantine

  • Omar Bailey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
      Hello,

      For those that dont know me, my name is Omar. I currently reside in the
      Barony of Dragonsspine, within the Kingdom of the Outlands. Now, I am not
      new to the SCA, haveing been involved in some way for the past 5 year or so.
      However, I am just now getting involved on a regularl basis, and need help
      with a few things.

      I was informed that to participate within the Crown Tournament, you must
      have registered a name and arms. Arms will be easy for me to take care of,
      it is the name that I am having a difficult time with.

      After doing some research, I decided on a middle Byzantine persona,
      somewhere between the 9th and 12th century. Vague, I know.. my first idea
      was Roman. *G* Back to the point. I am having a hard time finding a name
      that fits, and one I can document. I recall reading or being told something
      about how you can use your mundane first or last name for your persona name
      without documentation, provided it doesnt violate any rules (such as the
      name Rex or Lord). Omar is an appropriate middle eastern name (my second
      persona idea was a 9th century arab, for which I was planning to use my
      name, and by which everyone seems to know me now). I was thinking of my
      persona being from the eastern part of the empire, within the holy land or
      in that region.

      My question is, how much was there in the way of cross culture? With
      borders changing, I imagine you would have people from a mix of cultures
      within one nation at any given time. I recall reading something about a
      turkish (?) ruler who even offered a 'colony' within his lands for Byzantine
      citizens who wished to escape the problems of the empire at one point.

      I would like to use my own name, either with a byzantine'ish name, or a
      plain one appropriate for that region. I like byzantine garb, armor, and
      culture/history over that of other nations for that region, which is why I
      am asking.

      So, how would I go about finding, documenting, and using a middle eastern
      name for a byzantine persona? Is it appropriate?

      Any help is appreciated.

      Omar

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
        Omar mentioned his Kingdom's Crown List and the need for having a
        registered name and device. FYI: This requirement is not consistant
        throughout Kingdoms (some require it, some don't).

        Don't know if your Crown List is coming up fast, so a suggestion to
        meet this requirement is to register "Omar of... something" (i.e.
        your group, a town, etc.) as a holding name. You can check with the
        College of Herald's, but last I knew "holding names" were
        considered "registered names". AND as current Royal you most likely
        would use only your first name anyways. Then you can spend more time
        researching a "last name" you like.

        Just an idea.

        Rayne