Re: [SCA Newcomers] pennsic

  • Dave & Megan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
      You can buy just about anything you can imagine at Pennsic....Food, Shelter, Clothing, Toys, toys, More Toys. (For all your SCA hobbies...and things you haven't even heard of.)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2004
        In a message dated 5/11/2004 5:38:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<just how much should one expect to spend on merchant booths in one
        week at pennsic?>>

        That is a very personal question :-)

        By that, I mean it's very specific to the individual. I know people who have
        dropped thousands at the merchants, and I know people who spend $10 at the
        merchants all war. It also varies year to year even with the same person. My
        husband and I usually budget $500-600 for merchants; sometimes we use all of it
        and want more and sometimes we come home with half of it or more. Just
        depends on if we find what we want.
        I suggest you figure out what your finances can stand without creating havoc,
        and take that much with you - in traveller's cheques or something, not cash!
        Unfortunately, it seems that there are always thefts of cash at Pennsic.

        Brangwayna

      • Milica of Varna
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2004
          On Wednesday 12 May 2004 20:08, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
          > <<just how much should one expect to spend on merchant booths in one
          > week at pennsic?>>

          It depends on what you need each year. When you're new, you generally spend
          more buying garb, camp gear etc. Later you'll find yourself looking for
          specific items for projects, costuming or armor. Once you've been in the SCA
          awhile, you find you "need" to buy less. (That doesn't mean that the
          merchandise won't be tempting!)

          I don't really spend much at merchants anymore. I find I have most things for
          camp by now. I do make a point, however, of waiting until Pennsic to buy
          items that I know I can only get there.

          Milica

          THL Milica of Varna
          Middle Kingdom Chronicler