[SCA Newcomers] Re: persona advice

  • sca_celt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
      Gosh, I can't get over how SCA similar we are! I also have two
      children (boy and girl both born into the SCA), am a Chirurgeon and,
      although not a nurse, I was a medic during the Vietnam War. :-) The
      SCA is a great family hobby. I now have grandchildren (boy and girl)
      who SCA. And since people in my family live into their 100s, I
      consider myself just now "middle-aged". ;-)

      To your question about females in medicine - here is a good website
      discussing women in medicine in early history:
      http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/manitoba_womens_health/wominmed.htm

      It includes some of my favorites: Philista (318 -372 BC) lectured
      so well that pupils flocked to her, and was so attractive that she
      had to lecture behind a curtain. AND in the Middle Ages Trotula of
      Salerno who gained repute as a physician and obstetrician.

      The U.S. National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, MD has a number
      of manuscripts and articles on what they call "Salerno – The Mother
      of Medical Schools" They say "The fame of Salerno's practitioners,
      women as well as men…spread across Europe by the end of the eleventh
      century." So you could profess your persona was educated there. :-)

      For more about Trotula go to:
      http://www.virtualology.com/virtualmuseumofhistory/hallofwomen/TROTULA
      OFSALERNO.COM/

      http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/society/class/Midwife/trotula.htm

      A very interesting read is a translation of a 13th century Anglo-
      Norman text on medicine (which mentions Trotula).
      http://www.mw.mcmaster.ca/scriptorium/ruelle.html

      Hope some of this helps.

      Rayne
      (Oh, yes...the "basic garb, nondescript medieval peasant" is
      perfectly fine)

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Boadicea Sun" <Boadicea@s...>
      wrote:
      > How is the occupation of Chirurgeon handled as a female?
      (snipped) > I'm a middle aged female with children (son 10, daughter
      8) that are also SCA newbies (boffer is fun!). I'm a nurse
      (snipped), so is the "basic garb, nondescript medieval peasant" thing
      *really* ok to do til I figure some of this out?

      > Sylvia
    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
        Please note the URL addresses to the links below are so long that
        they did not wrap and you might need to type the rest of the Link
        address in...

        > For more about Trotula go to:

        http://www.virtualology.com/virtualmuseumofhistory/hallofwomen/TROTULA
        OFSALERNO.COM/

        http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/society/class/Midwife/trotula.
        html

        Rayne
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
          > Please note the URL addresses to the links below are so long that
          > they did not wrap and you might need to type the rest of the Link
          > address in...

          quick tip -- enclose the URLs in angle brackets and they'll work even
          if they wrap!

          Jerusha