Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: persona advice

  • Boadicea Sun
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2003
      How is the occupation of Chirurgeon handled as a female? I am also new and feeling around for a suitable persona, my real life experiences seem to contradict each other for the purpose of authenticity in a persona... I figured I should have some frame of reference when researching my first persona, i.e. not make it all entirely different from who I am.

      I'm a middle aged female with children (son 10, daughter 8) that are also SCA newbies (boffer is fun!). I'm a nurse, so I considered the whole European convent thing for the healing/chirurgeon context, but it didn't strike me as "fun" and as my kids are with me, not exactly appropriate either. I have toyed with the idea of druid as well, or a "wise woman" type, but the former I ran into the same thing that Jeff did, and the latter smacks of fantasy role-play. My aunt has traced our family tree back to the 1400's in England, so that interests me, my last name (Billings) has an old Norse reference, and I've always loved the Scottish culture due in no small part to my father being a piper and having attended Celtic festivals all my life :) How on earth do I begin to narrow this all down?? Is the "basic garb, nondescript medieval peasant" thing *really* ok to do til I figure some of this out?

      Sylvia

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
        Gosh, I can't get over how SCA similar we are! I also have two
        children (boy and girl both born into the SCA), am a Chirurgeon and,
        although not a nurse, I was a medic during the Vietnam War. :-) The
        SCA is a great family hobby. I now have grandchildren (boy and girl)
        who SCA. And since people in my family live into their 100s, I
        consider myself just now "middle-aged". ;-)

        To your question about females in medicine - here is a good website
        discussing women in medicine in early history:
        http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/manitoba_womens_health/wominmed.htm

        It includes some of my favorites: Philista (318 -372 BC) lectured
        so well that pupils flocked to her, and was so attractive that she
        had to lecture behind a curtain. AND in the Middle Ages Trotula of
        Salerno who gained repute as a physician and obstetrician.

        The U.S. National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, MD has a number
        of manuscripts and articles on what they call "Salerno – The Mother
        of Medical Schools" They say "The fame of Salerno's practitioners,
        women as well as men…spread across Europe by the end of the eleventh
        century." So you could profess your persona was educated there. :-)

        For more about Trotula go to:
        http://www.virtualology.com/virtualmuseumofhistory/hallofwomen/TROTULA
        OFSALERNO.COM/

        http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/society/class/Midwife/trotula.htm

        A very interesting read is a translation of a 13th century Anglo-
        Norman text on medicine (which mentions Trotula).
        http://www.mw.mcmaster.ca/scriptorium/ruelle.html

        Hope some of this helps.

        Rayne
        (Oh, yes...the "basic garb, nondescript medieval peasant" is
        perfectly fine)

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Boadicea Sun" <Boadicea@s...>
        wrote:
        > How is the occupation of Chirurgeon handled as a female?
        (snipped) > I'm a middle aged female with children (son 10, daughter
        8) that are also SCA newbies (boffer is fun!). I'm a nurse
        (snipped), so is the "basic garb, nondescript medieval peasant" thing
        *really* ok to do til I figure some of this out?

        > Sylvia
      • sca_celt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
          Please note the URL addresses to the links below are so long that
          they did not wrap and you might need to type the rest of the Link
          address in...

          > For more about Trotula go to:

          http://www.virtualology.com/virtualmuseumofhistory/hallofwomen/TROTULA
          OFSALERNO.COM/

          http://mahan.wonkwang.ac.kr/link/med/society/class/Midwife/trotula.
          html

          Rayne
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2003
            > Please note the URL addresses to the links below are so long that
            > they did not wrap and you might need to type the rest of the Link
            > address in...

            quick tip -- enclose the URLs in angle brackets and they'll work even
            if they wrap!

            Jerusha