Mars

  • wambat13@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2003
      Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 1:06 PM
      Subject: FW: Close encounter with Mars

      Watch those skies!

      CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH MARS

      Never again in your lifetime will the Red Planet be so spectacular.

      This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars... an encounter that
      will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in
      recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.
      Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit,
      astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to
      Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The
      encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
      34,649,589 miles and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in
      the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11
      arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as
      large as the full moon to the naked eye.

      Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August Mars will rise in
      the east at 10 p.m. and reach its zenith at about 3 a.m. But by the end
      of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall
      and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty
      convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in
      recorded history. So mark your calendar at the beginning of August to
      see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

    • athariannorthkeep
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2003
        is this the bright 'star' I've been tracking for the past couple of
        weeks? I'm in Oklahoma, and it has been roughly east by south
        east. Unfortunatly I am around a lot of bright lights, and the only
        time I have seen it while out at the lake, I didn't have a darn
        thing to look at it with magnification. but it has been bugging me
        about what it is. I did notice this same thing back in autumn
        of '99 too, so I've been curious.

        Atharian
      • megrimulf
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2003
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "athariannorthkeep"
          <wolf22_2002@y...> wrote:
          <snip>
          > weeks? I'm in Oklahoma,
          <snip>
          > Atharian

          Howdy, neighbor!

          Grímólfr Einarsson
          Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra (Oklahoma City area)
        • athariannorthkeep
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
            > Howdy, neighbor!
            >
            > Grímólfr Einarsson
            > Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra (Oklahoma City area)

            Greetings to those down the road.

            Atharian
            Northkeep, Ansteorra (Tulsa, Ok)