What is it?

  • wambat13@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2003
      http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/annosoc.shtml
      What the Heck is Anno Societatis?

    • liamstliam1
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2003
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wambat13@j... wrote:
        > http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/annosoc.shtml
        > What the Heck is Anno Societatis?

        "In the year of the Society"

        Think about Anno Dominus," which means "in the year of the Lord."

        This is A.S. XXXVIII (387). It's dated to the costume party that
        Dana List hosted, which is recognized as the start of the SCA.

        Liam
      • amazonalys
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2003
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "liamstliam1" <billtoscano@c...>
          wrote:
          > This is A.S. XXXVIII (387).

          Was that a typo? XXXVIII is 38, right? I thought this was the year
          38.
        • megrimulf
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2003
            wrote:
            > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, wambat13@j... wrote:
            > > http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/annosoc.shtml
            > > What the Heck is Anno Societatis?
            > >
            > "In the year of the Society"
            >
            > Think about Anno Dominus," which means "in the year of the Lord."
            >
            > This is A.S. XXXVIII (387). It's dated to the costume party that
            > Dana List hosted, which is recognized as the start of the SCA.
            >
            > Liam

            Actually, the year is A.S. 38. I'm assuming that "7" was just a
            stray keystroke, but for the sake of clarity... :)

            A version of the story of that first party that spawned our Society
            may be found at http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

            Grímólfr
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2003
              On Wednesday 30 July 2003 02:50, megrimulf wrote:

              > A version of the story of that first party that spawned our Society
              > may be found at http://members.tripod.com/~whitebard/lastone.htm

              The above web site contains this quote:

              "And on the day, at the stroke of noon, being the time set to begin the
              tournament, the scholar set foot outside her door, and there was no one
              there.

              "And half an hour later, she stepped outside her door again, and there
              were fifty people there."

              Thus, we learn that the concept of "running on SCA time", a common situation at
              all our events right up to this very day, traces its origins back to the very
              first SCA event. As a chronic procrastinator, I am proud to be carrying on in
              the noble traditions of my SCAdian ancestors!

              fesswise reversed sable.

            • megrimulf
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                <justin@4...> wrote:
                > Thus, we learn that the concept of "running on SCA time", a common
                situation at
                > all our events right up to this very day, traces its origins back
                to the very
                > first SCA event. As a chronic procrastinator, I am proud to be
                carrying on in
                > the noble traditions of my SCAdian ancestors!

                *LOL* Me too, Justin, me too!

                Grímólfr
              • RhysAB@nycap.rr.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                  I've been upholding that proud tradition long before I started playing 19
                  years ago!

                  Rhys Aiden Bifjord

                  > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                  > <justin@4...> wrote:
                  > > Thus, we learn that the concept of "running on SCA time", a common
                  > situation at
                  > > all our events right up to this very day, traces its origins back
                  > to the very
                  > > first SCA event. As a chronic procrastinator, I am proud to be
                  > carrying on in
                  > > the noble traditions of my SCAdian ancestors!
                  >
                  > *LOL* Me too, Justin, me too!
                  >
                  > Gr�m�lfr

                  This message was sent using Road Runner's Web-based
                  e-mail.