Garb and Children (was Confused and self-conscious)

  • Mary Henline
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
      I spent some time reading through the digest, then headed over to
      answer this post in particular. Big surprise, right Justin? Smiles.

      As for the garb, do not worry. My first garb was a simple T-dress.
      The pattern is from the handbook that Justin pointed you to (the free
      dl online), and over the past year + we've (aka I got a lot of help!)
      have added to it, improving it's appearance, and otherwise making it
      more decorative, but it's still the nice, cool, garb that I am so
      happy to own! It took a couple of hours to make. Side note, do not
      let folks chase you away from a sewing machine. In the beginning, it
      is a good friend. I'm not good at sewing, cooking, or the like, but
      the SCA has taken these and at least given me the desire to learn
      more. :)

      As for the 8 year old, I am a single mom with a 6 year old. His name
      is period (Ian, Eoan in those days), and he loves to come to events
      with me ever since he discovered that knights beat on each other.
      Now you and I know these folks are not knights--they're just
      fighters, but to a kid it's magical. Clothing for a child is a
      simple late t-shirt styled shirt and a pair of either shorts and dark
      or leather sandals, or a pair of dark sweats.

      One big draw in the kingdoms now is what is known as "boffer". It
      enables children to beat on each other with the adults watching,
      pleased. (Ok, ok. So it's a bit more complicated than that, but
      that's how Ian looks at it, grins). Seriously, boffer is a training
      program for discipline, rule-structure and following abilities,
      defensive stance and defending yourself when attacked, and attacking
      others. The core of the boffer is a sword that in our Kingdom is a
      golf-tube wrapped in foam insulation and covered in duct tape and
      strapping tape. These boffers are very popular with the kids who I
      have met--they think they are cool. Your little one might be
      interested in that.

      If you have any questions about Boffer, reply and I'll send you the
      links to the proper places of inquiry. :)

      Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the dream.

      Lady Mary Henline
      MoY for Alderford
      (Dee)