Re: [SCA Newcomers] Very New, Very Confused and Very Self-conscious

  • amazonalys
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
      Thank you all very much. I appreciate the advice.
    • Mary Henline
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
        I spent some time reading through the digest, then headed over to
        answer this post in particular. Big surprise, right Justin? Smiles.

        As for the garb, do not worry. My first garb was a simple T-dress.
        The pattern is from the handbook that Justin pointed you to (the free
        dl online), and over the past year + we've (aka I got a lot of help!)
        have added to it, improving it's appearance, and otherwise making it
        more decorative, but it's still the nice, cool, garb that I am so
        happy to own! It took a couple of hours to make. Side note, do not
        let folks chase you away from a sewing machine. In the beginning, it
        is a good friend. I'm not good at sewing, cooking, or the like, but
        the SCA has taken these and at least given me the desire to learn
        more. :)

        As for the 8 year old, I am a single mom with a 6 year old. His name
        is period (Ian, Eoan in those days), and he loves to come to events
        with me ever since he discovered that knights beat on each other.
        Now you and I know these folks are not knights--they're just
        fighters, but to a kid it's magical. Clothing for a child is a
        simple late t-shirt styled shirt and a pair of either shorts and dark
        or leather sandals, or a pair of dark sweats.

        One big draw in the kingdoms now is what is known as "boffer". It
        enables children to beat on each other with the adults watching,
        pleased. (Ok, ok. So it's a bit more complicated than that, but
        that's how Ian looks at it, grins). Seriously, boffer is a training
        program for discipline, rule-structure and following abilities,
        defensive stance and defending yourself when attacked, and attacking
        others. The core of the boffer is a sword that in our Kingdom is a
        golf-tube wrapped in foam insulation and covered in duct tape and
        strapping tape. These boffers are very popular with the kids who I
        have met--they think they are cool. Your little one might be
        interested in that.

        If you have any questions about Boffer, reply and I'll send you the
        links to the proper places of inquiry. :)

        Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the dream.

        Lady Mary Henline
        MoY for Alderford
        (Dee)