Re: [SCA Newcomers] Very New, Very Confused and Very Self-conscious

  • Juliana Foxcroft
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
      If you're worried about garb, and you don't have much of your own, try to find out who the Gold Key person is for your area and ask to borrow some from them. If you're worried about fancy stuff, don't be. A lot of people do wear their best but it's not required. At just about every event I've attended, I've seen people wearing everything from the most simple tunics to the most grandiose Elizabethan. I will most probably be opting for comfort adn simplicity rather than looks that day, given how hot it's been and not yet knowing how busy I may be. If I wake up that morning in the mood to do it, I might wear the middle eastern outfit Arden bought for me at Lilies. Most likely Arden will be wearing plain pants and one of the shirts I made him, and the kids will be wearing simple tunics.

      Do hope you can make it. But if not we'll try another time. We're going to Raid & Trade this weekend (up in Iowa), and then there's Feast of Eagles coming up in Cum An Iolair (Johnson County, KS), and the Valor tourney I believe is in Wichita in the beginning of September. December and Kris Kinder will be here before we know it. That's a huge shopping event - our first was last year and it was fantastic! There may be some upcoming events that are closer to Jeff City too so maybe we'll get out that way. We do like to travel :).

      Better run for now - Arden's on his way to get me from work and one of my bosses just called.

      YIS,

      JF

      amazonalys <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Whoops! I was WAY off. I must have been thinking of a different
      event!

      The 26th would be hard to make, it's coming up so fast, but I know
      we'd like to attend. Goodness, garb has just become more urgent! I
      may have to make do with the lower-middle-class Elizabethan.

      I'm in Jefferson City. The group here has been nothing but nice...I
      just don't blend in very quickly. I really must try to get over that.

      I hope I do make it to A&S. I'll try to locate you. (First to find
      a sitter for the 8 year old who REALLY won't want to go to this!)

      Alice

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Juliana Foxcroft <JuliFox@s...>
      wrote:
      > You're welcome! Where are you located in Calontir?
      >
      > Kingdom A&S is at the end of this month - July 26 in Atchison,
      Kansas. The website is located at: http://artsci.calontir-
      rush.org/misc/kaandsflr.php.

      > And yes, it's perfectly fine to come wander and see all the
      wonderful things that are produced by the many talented Gentles that
      inhabit our fair Kingdom. :D:D:D My first Kingdom A&S was last
      year, and it's truly incredible to see the variety of things that
      were produced by the different cultures of the Middle Ages.

      > If you do come to A & S, please try to track me down. It would be
      really nice to meet you in person! I wish I could tell you what I'll
      be wearing but it's too early to tell yet.

      > Welcome to Calontir!
      >
      > YIS,
      >
      > JF
      >
      > amazonalys <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Thank you Lady Juliana.
      >
      > As it turns out, I am in Calontir. I appreciate your response. I
      > just feel silly asking some of these questions...like I ought to
      > already know.
      >
      > My husband and I have discussed geographical areas. They were the
      > same as you, Him Scottish and myself Norman/England. I love a good
      > coincidence.
      >
      > We have been thinking of coming to the Kingdom A&S (event?
      > competition?), I believe it is in September. I'd love some more
      > information on that. Folks can just come to take a look around,
      > right? We thought, what better way to see the many things SCA
      folks
      > do than to check out those who clearly are the best of the best?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > JULIANA FOXCROFT
      >
      > The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the
      kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual
      inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else
      believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship. --
      Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      JULIANA FOXCROFT

      The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

    • Tina Paxton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
        Hello, I hope I can help with a few of your questions anyway. :-)

        on 7/15/03 1:41 PM, amazonalys at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Hello to the group. I am very new to all this. My husband and I
        > have been to a few of our shire meetings and would like to get into
        > this a bit more, but I'm afraid I'm not good at asking questions face-
        > to-face. I thought this wonderful group might help.

        It can seem overwhelming when you are new and trying to figure everything
        out. Have you contacted your shire's chataleine or sensahale? This
        individual's duties are to help newcomers find their place in the group --
        get together with others within the shire who have similar interests. If
        you haven't contacted this person, please do. This indivdual is a valuable
        resource you can't do without!

        > I understand the need to find a name and era. We'd only thought
        > about 16th century prior to our first SCA meeting (ala Renfests) but
        > we've noticed no one in our shire seems to be late period. We don't
        > really want to be out of place, does time period really matter? Can
        > we just pick a name and not worry about the time? I have Elizabethan
        > clothes and 13th century clothes, can I just wear what I want without
        > regard to persona?

        Until you pinpoint a time period and location for your persona, you can just
        pick a name that at least "sounds" period. Not everyone goes into great
        deal in constructing a persona. You may simply want to have a "period name"
        and then dress in period clothing as you like and not worry about whether
        you are mixing periods or cultures. That's okay. It is also okay if your
        persona is from a different culture/era than your spouses and that of others
        within your shire. It is perfectly normal to have 10th century celts
        hanging out with 16th century Elizabethians.

        > It's my understanding that you can be anyone you want (not famous),
        > except titled nobility and that has to be earned. How do you do
        > that?

        Titles and such are earned...through service...through study of a
        skill...and I think other ways too but I can think of them at the moment.

        > Is it correct that you can't carry a sword as part of your
        > garb/persona unless you've been made a lord? What about personas
        > that wouldn't be a lord, a viking or a moor?

        I think but can't guarantee that it has more to do with style of sword...or
        is the sword okay and the silver spirs are the issue? I don't know,
        hopefully someone else can help with that one!

        > Help, I feel like I'm asking the stupidist questions.

        No, I think my first questions were stupidister than yours!

        Cristiane of Paxton
        1400 Lallan Scot of the East Marche
        In Current Middle Ages member of Shire of Seareach, Kingdom of Atlantia
      • amazonalys
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
          Thank you all very much. I appreciate the advice.
        • Mary Henline
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
            I spent some time reading through the digest, then headed over to
            answer this post in particular. Big surprise, right Justin? Smiles.

            As for the garb, do not worry. My first garb was a simple T-dress.
            The pattern is from the handbook that Justin pointed you to (the free
            dl online), and over the past year + we've (aka I got a lot of help!)
            have added to it, improving it's appearance, and otherwise making it
            more decorative, but it's still the nice, cool, garb that I am so
            happy to own! It took a couple of hours to make. Side note, do not
            let folks chase you away from a sewing machine. In the beginning, it
            is a good friend. I'm not good at sewing, cooking, or the like, but
            the SCA has taken these and at least given me the desire to learn
            more. :)

            As for the 8 year old, I am a single mom with a 6 year old. His name
            is period (Ian, Eoan in those days), and he loves to come to events
            with me ever since he discovered that knights beat on each other.
            Now you and I know these folks are not knights--they're just
            fighters, but to a kid it's magical. Clothing for a child is a
            simple late t-shirt styled shirt and a pair of either shorts and dark
            or leather sandals, or a pair of dark sweats.

            One big draw in the kingdoms now is what is known as "boffer". It
            enables children to beat on each other with the adults watching,
            pleased. (Ok, ok. So it's a bit more complicated than that, but
            that's how Ian looks at it, grins). Seriously, boffer is a training
            program for discipline, rule-structure and following abilities,
            defensive stance and defending yourself when attacked, and attacking
            others. The core of the boffer is a sword that in our Kingdom is a
            golf-tube wrapped in foam insulation and covered in duct tape and
            strapping tape. These boffers are very popular with the kids who I
            have met--they think they are cool. Your little one might be
            interested in that.

            If you have any questions about Boffer, reply and I'll send you the
            links to the proper places of inquiry. :)

            Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the dream.

            Lady Mary Henline
            MoY for Alderford
            (Dee)