Re: [SCA Newcomers] Very New, Very Confused and Very Self-conscious

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
      On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17:16, amazonalys wrote:
      > I'm in Jefferson City. The group here has been nothing but nice...I
      > just don't blend in very quickly. I really must try to get over that.

      Ahhhh! Wyvern Cliff!!!! My friends are from Standing Stones, in Columbia.
      But I used to live in J.C., and my parents still live about 15 miles from
      there. I graduated from Mizzou, class of 19(mumblemumble).

      Small world, isn't it? :-)

      So...are you coming to Pennsic?

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • amazonalys
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
        Why it is a small world. I too graduated from Mizzou, graduate
        school, also in 19(mumblemumble)! Seriously though, I haven't met
        anyone from Standing Stones yet...although I work with the mother of
        a member.

        We're really enjoying Wyverne Cliffe. I'm just trying to find my way
        still.

        As for Pennsic, my husband and I both work for the state, in jobs
        that require MONTHS notice to get vacation...so...no Pennsic for us
        this year. We are really looking forward to Lilies next year though.

        <justin@4...> wrote:
        > On Tuesday 15 July 2003 17:16, amazonalys wrote:
        > > I'm in Jefferson City. The group here has been nothing but
        nice...I
        > > just don't blend in very quickly. I really must try to get over
        that.

        > Ahhhh! Wyvern Cliff!!!! My friends are from Standing Stones, in
        Columbia.
        > But I used to live in J.C., and my parents still live about 15
        miles from
        > there. I graduated from Mizzou, class of 19(mumblemumble).
        >
        > Small world, isn't it? :-)
        >
        > So...are you coming to Pennsic?
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::[]
        xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
        http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
          On Tuesday 15 July 2003 18:11, amazonalys wrote:

          > As for Pennsic, my husband and I both work for the state, in jobs
          > that require MONTHS notice to get vacation...so...no Pennsic for us
          > this year. We are really looking forward to Lilies next year though.

          Never been to that, but have heard good things about the event. If your
          first Pennsic you camp with Calontir, we'll have something else in
          common, because that's what I did back at Pennsic 20.

          (Wanna talk about being intimidated by the SCA? Pennsic 20 was my very
          first SCA event, period. I had never even been to a shire meeting. I
          was terrified that if I accidentally used any modern words or phrases
          someone would kick me out of the event. [GRIN])

          Please give warm regards from Justin and Milica to the good folk of
          Wyverne Cliffe.

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • Juliana Foxcroft
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
            If you're worried about garb, and you don't have much of your own, try to find out who the Gold Key person is for your area and ask to borrow some from them. If you're worried about fancy stuff, don't be. A lot of people do wear their best but it's not required. At just about every event I've attended, I've seen people wearing everything from the most simple tunics to the most grandiose Elizabethan. I will most probably be opting for comfort adn simplicity rather than looks that day, given how hot it's been and not yet knowing how busy I may be. If I wake up that morning in the mood to do it, I might wear the middle eastern outfit Arden bought for me at Lilies. Most likely Arden will be wearing plain pants and one of the shirts I made him, and the kids will be wearing simple tunics.

            Do hope you can make it. But if not we'll try another time. We're going to Raid & Trade this weekend (up in Iowa), and then there's Feast of Eagles coming up in Cum An Iolair (Johnson County, KS), and the Valor tourney I believe is in Wichita in the beginning of September. December and Kris Kinder will be here before we know it. That's a huge shopping event - our first was last year and it was fantastic! There may be some upcoming events that are closer to Jeff City too so maybe we'll get out that way. We do like to travel :).

            Better run for now - Arden's on his way to get me from work and one of my bosses just called.

            YIS,

            JF

            amazonalys <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            Whoops! I was WAY off. I must have been thinking of a different
            event!

            The 26th would be hard to make, it's coming up so fast, but I know
            we'd like to attend. Goodness, garb has just become more urgent! I
            may have to make do with the lower-middle-class Elizabethan.

            I'm in Jefferson City. The group here has been nothing but nice...I
            just don't blend in very quickly. I really must try to get over that.

            I hope I do make it to A&S. I'll try to locate you. (First to find
            a sitter for the 8 year old who REALLY won't want to go to this!)

            Alice

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Juliana Foxcroft <JuliFox@s...>
            wrote:
            > You're welcome! Where are you located in Calontir?
            >
            > Kingdom A&S is at the end of this month - July 26 in Atchison,
            Kansas. The website is located at: http://artsci.calontir-
            rush.org/misc/kaandsflr.php.

            > And yes, it's perfectly fine to come wander and see all the
            wonderful things that are produced by the many talented Gentles that
            inhabit our fair Kingdom. :D:D:D My first Kingdom A&S was last
            year, and it's truly incredible to see the variety of things that
            were produced by the different cultures of the Middle Ages.

            > If you do come to A & S, please try to track me down. It would be
            really nice to meet you in person! I wish I could tell you what I'll
            be wearing but it's too early to tell yet.

            > Welcome to Calontir!
            >
            > YIS,
            >
            > JF
            >
            > amazonalys <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            > Thank you Lady Juliana.
            >
            > As it turns out, I am in Calontir. I appreciate your response. I
            > just feel silly asking some of these questions...like I ought to
            > already know.
            >
            > My husband and I have discussed geographical areas. They were the
            > same as you, Him Scottish and myself Norman/England. I love a good
            > coincidence.
            >
            > We have been thinking of coming to the Kingdom A&S (event?
            > competition?), I believe it is in September. I'd love some more
            > information on that. Folks can just come to take a look around,
            > right? We thought, what better way to see the many things SCA
            folks
            > do than to check out those who clearly are the best of the best?
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            > JULIANA FOXCROFT
            >
            > The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the
            kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual
            inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else
            believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship. --
            Ralph Waldo Emerson

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            JULIANA FOXCROFT

            The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

          • Tina Paxton
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 15, 2003
              Hello, I hope I can help with a few of your questions anyway. :-)

              on 7/15/03 1:41 PM, amazonalys at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Hello to the group. I am very new to all this. My husband and I
              > have been to a few of our shire meetings and would like to get into
              > this a bit more, but I'm afraid I'm not good at asking questions face-
              > to-face. I thought this wonderful group might help.

              It can seem overwhelming when you are new and trying to figure everything
              out. Have you contacted your shire's chataleine or sensahale? This
              individual's duties are to help newcomers find their place in the group --
              get together with others within the shire who have similar interests. If
              you haven't contacted this person, please do. This indivdual is a valuable
              resource you can't do without!

              > I understand the need to find a name and era. We'd only thought
              > about 16th century prior to our first SCA meeting (ala Renfests) but
              > we've noticed no one in our shire seems to be late period. We don't
              > really want to be out of place, does time period really matter? Can
              > we just pick a name and not worry about the time? I have Elizabethan
              > clothes and 13th century clothes, can I just wear what I want without
              > regard to persona?

              Until you pinpoint a time period and location for your persona, you can just
              pick a name that at least "sounds" period. Not everyone goes into great
              deal in constructing a persona. You may simply want to have a "period name"
              and then dress in period clothing as you like and not worry about whether
              you are mixing periods or cultures. That's okay. It is also okay if your
              persona is from a different culture/era than your spouses and that of others
              within your shire. It is perfectly normal to have 10th century celts
              hanging out with 16th century Elizabethians.

              > It's my understanding that you can be anyone you want (not famous),
              > except titled nobility and that has to be earned. How do you do
              > that?

              Titles and such are earned...through service...through study of a
              skill...and I think other ways too but I can think of them at the moment.

              > Is it correct that you can't carry a sword as part of your
              > garb/persona unless you've been made a lord? What about personas
              > that wouldn't be a lord, a viking or a moor?

              I think but can't guarantee that it has more to do with style of sword...or
              is the sword okay and the silver spirs are the issue? I don't know,
              hopefully someone else can help with that one!

              > Help, I feel like I'm asking the stupidist questions.

              No, I think my first questions were stupidister than yours!

              Cristiane of Paxton
              1400 Lallan Scot of the East Marche
              In Current Middle Ages member of Shire of Seareach, Kingdom of Atlantia
            • amazonalys
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
                Thank you all very much. I appreciate the advice.
              • Mary Henline
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 16, 2003
                  I spent some time reading through the digest, then headed over to
                  answer this post in particular. Big surprise, right Justin? Smiles.

                  As for the garb, do not worry. My first garb was a simple T-dress.
                  The pattern is from the handbook that Justin pointed you to (the free
                  dl online), and over the past year + we've (aka I got a lot of help!)
                  have added to it, improving it's appearance, and otherwise making it
                  more decorative, but it's still the nice, cool, garb that I am so
                  happy to own! It took a couple of hours to make. Side note, do not
                  let folks chase you away from a sewing machine. In the beginning, it
                  is a good friend. I'm not good at sewing, cooking, or the like, but
                  the SCA has taken these and at least given me the desire to learn
                  more. :)

                  As for the 8 year old, I am a single mom with a 6 year old. His name
                  is period (Ian, Eoan in those days), and he loves to come to events
                  with me ever since he discovered that knights beat on each other.
                  Now you and I know these folks are not knights--they're just
                  fighters, but to a kid it's magical. Clothing for a child is a
                  simple late t-shirt styled shirt and a pair of either shorts and dark
                  or leather sandals, or a pair of dark sweats.

                  One big draw in the kingdoms now is what is known as "boffer". It
                  enables children to beat on each other with the adults watching,
                  pleased. (Ok, ok. So it's a bit more complicated than that, but
                  that's how Ian looks at it, grins). Seriously, boffer is a training
                  program for discipline, rule-structure and following abilities,
                  defensive stance and defending yourself when attacked, and attacking
                  others. The core of the boffer is a sword that in our Kingdom is a
                  golf-tube wrapped in foam insulation and covered in duct tape and
                  strapping tape. These boffers are very popular with the kids who I
                  have met--they think they are cool. Your little one might be
                  interested in that.

                  If you have any questions about Boffer, reply and I'll send you the
                  links to the proper places of inquiry. :)

                  Welcome to the SCA, and welcome to the dream.

                  Lady Mary Henline
                  MoY for Alderford
                  (Dee)