Re: Name help

  • megrimulf
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
      Greetings! First of all, welcome the Society!

      My favorite place (and the favorite of many on this list, I dare say)
      for names is the Academy of St. Gabriel at http://www.s-gabriel.org
      They are currently on a well-deserved vacation, and their library is
      apparently being reorganized, so the library links are currently
      routed to http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
      Lots of great stuff!

      Grímólfr

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Iluve" <iluvegreenleaf@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all! I'm completely new to the world of the sca, and am
      > currently thinking of names that may be appropriate. I have done
      some
      > online research into both given names & bynames, and so far my
      > favourite combination is Amicia Cavendish. Any thoughts? Or would
      it
      > be better to be Amecia of ....... (enter place name)? Also- I
      gather
      > that some kind of documentation is needed to prove that these names
      > were indeed used at the time. Where would one go about finding such
      > books- the library, perhaps? I don't suppose an 'offical type' (ie:
      > museum , university) website is enough, is it?
      >
      > Thanx in advance!
    • Iluve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
        Excellent, thank you very much! And thanks also for the welcome! :)
        I'm off to go searching through that library! ;)

        *excited*

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "megrimulf" <megrimulf@y...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings! First of all, welcome the Society!
        >
        > My favorite place (and the favorite of many on this list, I dare
        say)
        > for names is the Academy of St. Gabriel at http://www.s-gabriel.org
        > They are currently on a well-deserved vacation, and their library is
        > apparently being reorganized, so the library links are currently
        > routed to http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/
        > Lots of great stuff!
        >
        > Grímólfr
        >
        > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Iluve" <iluvegreenleaf@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hello all! I'm completely new to the world of the sca, and am
        > > currently thinking of names that may be appropriate. I have done
        > some
        > > online research into both given names & bynames, and so far my
        > > favourite combination is Amicia Cavendish. Any thoughts? Or would
        > it
        > > be better to be Amecia of ....... (enter place name)? Also- I
        > gather
        > > that some kind of documentation is needed to prove that these
        names
        > > were indeed used at the time. Where would one go about finding
        such
        > > books- the library, perhaps? I don't suppose an 'offical type'
        (ie:
        > > museum , university) website is enough, is it?
        > >
        > > Thanx in advance!
      • Kynda
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2003
          Oh dont listen to Grímólfr, he is jsut a CRAZY viking, trying to find
          some good viking lady to pillage! :)
          ~K
        • dontwait4themessiah
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 21, 2003
            What?! Grim, you're being a crazy Viking without me?!

            Morag (who really must get a norse name of her own)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kynda" <deajavu@a...> wrote:
            > Oh dont listen to Grímólfr, he is jsut a CRAZY viking, trying to find
            > some good viking lady to pillage! :)
            > ~K
          • megrimulf
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2003
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, dontwait4themessiah
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > What?! Grim, you're being a crazy Viking without me?!

              Um... no, never... not me. *tries to look innocent; fails miserably*

              > Morag (who really must get a norse name of her own)

              A fine Norse woman's name for you, eh? I'm kinda partial to
              Þjóðgerðr. But that's largely because it can be fun to watch heralds
              turn purple. hehehe >:) And yes, I _CAN_ pronounce it, thank you
              very much :D

              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kynda" <deajavu@a...> wrote:
              > > Oh dont listen to Grímólfr, he is jsut a CRAZY viking, trying to
              find
              > > some good viking lady to pillage! :)
              > > ~K

              Oops, sorry, Kyna... your post slipped by me. So, you're saying
              these are _bad_ things? hehe

              --Grímólfr