Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question about Pennsic...

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
      On Monday 23 June 2003 02:25, Karen Baker wrote:
      > Upon reading this and other responses, I realize my idea of camping
      > is not what I shall find in truth at Pennsic, and this is good. I had
      > assumed camping with Ostgardr [which is technically a Crown Province,
      > but that's in effect a barony] meant being pretty much self-sufficent,
      > but the descriptions I've been given are much more welcoming than
      > that. Frankly, when I asked Viscount Edward Zifran it was the first
      > time I had seen him or spoken to him and was for some reason reticent
      > to ask questions. I suppose because I had heard a bit about him.

      Oh, Fast Eddie has quite a reputation. He can be a very imposing man,
      because he has a very sharp wit, a bit of a temper, and does not suffer
      fools gladly. But he usually preys on the persistently clueless, and
      I have never known His Excellency to mistake "new" for "clueless." They
      are not the same thing, and he realizes that. Inside Edward, whether or
      not he will admit it, is a very nice person who can be a lot of fun
      to be around. Just don't tell him I let his secret out of the bag! :-)

      As for the weather and such, a couple of other people have mentioned a point
      that I want to re-emphasize: Even when the weather does bad things like knock
      down tents, people *really* pull together at Pennsic to help one another.
      One year, after a really bad thunderstorm, I was one of the Chirurgeons who
      helped to set up a secondary Chirurgeon's Point at the barn, to treat
      hypothermia cases (there were no serious injuries, but a lot of people
      got wet and cold that night). By the time we had that facility up and running,
      30 minutes after the storm ended, the Great Dark Horde (a large household)
      had already set up an emergency soup kitchen and was offering hot meals.
      That's the kind of people you'll find in the SCA. We have our bad apples,
      like any other large organization, but we have a lot more good apples
      than bad.

      My point is, relax. You're among friends. Ten thousand of them.

      fesswise reversed sable.