Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question about Pennsic...

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2003
      On Sunday 22 June 2003 07:59, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > To my mind, that's not camping alone, as
      > one of the other options at Pensic is "singles camping", in which you take
      > your tent up and set it up in unused space, with no idea who might come in
      > near you.

      Speaking of which, if you *do* end up single-camping at Pennsic, there is
      a plot of single camping area very near our household encampment, in N22, and
      we would welcome any newcomers to camp there. Because the registration date
      is passed, we can't allocate land *inside* our campsite, but we usually end
      up being right next to the single camping area, so you could be next door
      neighbors if you wish. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • Karen Baker
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2003
        <justin@4...> wrote:
        > On Saturday 21 June 2003 17:57, Karen Baker wrote:

        > Greetings, Good Lady!
        >
        > Would you happen to have met a man named Colin McBaird (mundanely Matt
        > Cribbs) who lives in NYC area? If so, he's a friend of mine. He
        originally
        > trained with us here in the Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) and moved
        > to NYC with a new job. He still is an honorary citizen of Alderford, by
        > his choice and by our invitation, and he wears our tabard when fighting.
        > If you see him, please tell him that Justin says hello!

        I'm afraid the name does not ring a bell; however, I shall try to
        remember it and the message if I should ever chance to run into him.

        > Now, on to your questions...

        > The short answer is, I don't think you should be unduly concerned about
        > the rain, for a variety of reasons:
        [...]
        Again,
        > people are used to this stuff and we just batten down the tents
        > and ride it out.

        Thank you for the reassurances. I composed the post in an odd/worried
        frame of mind, influenced not only by genuine concerns but also the
        lateness of the hour and a few other things that made it all seem a
        bit overmuch the next day. And your comments have only aided in
        setting my mind at further ease.

        > If you're camping with a group, then you will not be by yourself. You
        > may (probably will) have a tent to yourself (which you will be expected
        > to provide, unless you've made other arrangements), but your barony
        > (Ostgardr is a barony, right?) will have a common area of land where
        > all the tents will go in a group. Someone called your "Campmaster" or
        > "Campmistress" (or in jest, your "Slum Lord"), will arrange the layout
        > of the campsite to include space for every tent plus communal areas
        > for fire pit, firewood storage, camp shower (if applicable), dining
        > fly, and so on.

        Upon reading this and other responses, I realize my idea of camping
        is not what I shall find in truth at Pennsic, and this is good. I had
        assumed camping with Ostgardr [which is technically a Crown Province,
        but that's in effect a barony] meant being pretty much self-sufficent,
        but the descriptions I've been given are much more welcoming than
        that. Frankly, when I asked Viscount Edward Zifran it was the first
        time I had seen him or spoken to him and was for some reason reticent
        to ask questions. I suppose because I had heard a bit about him.
        Anyway, I haven't seen him since, but I know some others to ask for
        details of camping with Ostgardr, so it won't be a problem.

        > Absolutely, go the whole time if you can! Two reasons:
        [...]
        > My wife and I, and some of our friends, are part of a small
        household, and
        > we will be on site from August 1 through August 17. If you end up
        needing
        > some help on site, and can't get assistance from your campmates,
        feel free
        > to look us up and we'll do what we can. Our household is called
        "Erevnite
        > Asteron" and we normally camp in block N22. Alternatively, you can
        come to
        > Chirurgeon's Point (near Troll and Security) and ask for Justin. I'm the
        > War Chirurgeon this year, so most of the staff will know where to
        find me.

        > That offer goes for any of the newcomers on this list: If you're at
        Pennsic,
        > and you really feel overwhelmed, know that you have a friend at Erevnite
        > Asteron camp, and feel free to stop by to say hello or to ask for help.
        > I can't promise to solve every situation, but I should at least be able
        > to find someone who can.
        >
        > Hope to see you at Pennsic!
        >
        > Justin
        >
        > --
        > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
        <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()

        http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        > justin@4... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

        Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a great,
        thought-out response!
        I truly appreciate it more than I can say. I am glad to hear you
        suggest i go for the full time, for that is truly what I desire to do,
        and think I shall, as long as I can find a ride for that date.
        Also, I shall try to find you at some point to thank you in person, as
        well as meet you,even if I do not have any difficulties to present you
        with, for you seem to be a greatly kind soul, and one that it would be
        good to meet.

        thanks again--

        karen baker
        Bai Kai-Ling
      • Karen Baker
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 22, 2003
          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I guess the first question I would have is have you already
          > registered for Pennsic?
          >
          > Next is what do you mean when you say "that means by myself" when you
          > are also saying you have permission to camp with Ostgardr?
          >
          > That out of the way, one thing you will find in the SCA is that if
          > something bad happens at an event (flash flooding for example),
          > everyone pulls together and looks after each other. Those that have
          > do for those who have not. As far as being prepared for the worse,
          > pack everything in plastic tubs with lids that snap on fairly tightly
          > and make sure you have lots of dry socks. (It soound like a joke,
          > but it isn't...) Talk to those around you that have been to Pennsic
          > and find out what they recommend you take with you to be prepared.
          > Check with Ostgardr, if you intend to camp with them, and find out
          > what their plans are. They may be planning a kitchen/community thing
          > there and you maybe able to go along in on it with them for some food
          > prep and dishwashing time and a little cash for your share. They may
          > also be bringing things as a group and you may not have to bring what
          > ever it is yourself, a shovel comes to mind. You may even find
          > someone you can share tent space with.
          >
          > I am sure others in the group will join in soon. If I remember right
          > a couple of members have sites with lists of suggested things to take
          > to War and especially Pennsic. So I'll move out of the way so they
          > can speak up. Also, if you have a specific question, speak up and
          > we'll try to answer it!
          >
          > William

          Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions.
          Unfortunately, I am not pre-registered. I began it, right at the last
          minute, but due to losing my job was not able to pay the $70 before
          June 1st. I am not truly clear on what that means with regard to
          camping with Ostgardr. I got permission from the man I was told to
          speak to, and put that I was camping with them when I filled out the
          pre-reg form, however, as I didn't pay by the June 1st deadline, I do
          not know if any land will still be set aside for me. I plan to ask
          around, but have not actually gotten clear answers yet.

          I have written down some of your suggestions, and thank you for them.
          They have helped clear up some misapprehensions I had.

          karen baker
          Bai Kai-Ling
        • Karen Baker
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 22, 2003
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 6/22/2003 6:00:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            > scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
            >

            > Not unless you think 3 or 4 hours eastward is near. I live about an
            hour
            > further east of Gettysburg. Gettysburg is southcentral
            Pennsylvania; Pennsic is
            > not very far form the Ohio border. The weather patterns between the
            two can
            > be quite different. For instance, I believe the Pennsic area had a
            much wetter
            > winter than we last year. I am not sure that they have been getting
            quite
            > the copious rains that we have.

            ah! this is very good to know. thanks =)

            > I'm a bit confused. If you have permission to camp with Ostgardr,
            then that
            > means you will be inside their camp, surrounded by the people you were
            > speaking to at the Commons meeting, yes? To my mind, that's not
            camping alone, as
            > one of the other options at Pensic is "singles camping", in which
            you take your
            > tent up and set it up in unused space, with no idea who might come
            in near
            > you. When you are camping with a group like Ostgardr at Pennsic,
            you'll be
            > packed in tight - probably no more than three feet or so from tent
            wall to tent
            > wall, so you will be literally surrounded.
            >
            > Oh - I just realized what your concern is! You've been family
            camping -
            > where each family sets up their own tent or whatever, and does stuff by
            > themselves, with very little contact with the family in the
            neighboring plot, right?
            > And those plots might be pretty far apart? That's not really the
            way it happens
            > at Pennsic, especially if you let it be known that you are new and
            not really
            > experienced at camping. We all pretty much pull together for the
            most part.

            > It sounds like you want to link up with someone that you can set
            your tent up
            > beside and have them available to assist you with any questions,
            etc. The
            > easiest way to do that is to go to the people you've met who seem
            most welcoming
            > and that you like the most, and simply say "I'm going to my first
            Pennsic and
            > I'm a little nervous as I haven't done much camping. Can you help
            me out?"
            > There should be nothing more needed. Any contributions required
            would likely
            > be in the things we all tend to help each other out with anyway,
            like setting
            > up and taking down tents and any communal things like showers,
            taking the
            > trash out once in a while, maybe doing the dishes or cooking one
            night, running
            > town errands if you go into town or to the Cooper's store.
            > I don't know if either Kazimir or Ateno will be camping with
            Ostgardr, but
            > they are good friends of mine and both very helpful to newcomers;
            you could
            > check in with them.
            >

            > If you haven't done much camping, the full two weeks might be a bit
            much, but
            > then again it might not if you have good support. If you do decide to
            > shorten it, then your best bet is to come for a minimum of the time
            between the
            > first Wednesday or Thursday and the last Friday or Saturday. That's
            really when
            > the "War" happens.
            >
            > We've had very wet Pennsics before and things pretty much just go on as
            > normal. Things you need to do to prepare are:
            > Make sure the seams of a modern tent are waterproofed; you can get a
            roll-on
            > stick to do this at any camping store.
            > Make sure your groundcloth isn't sticking out at the sides of your
            tent. It
            > needs to be a few inches inside the edge. If it's sticking out
            anywhere, rain
            > and runoff will get on it and get between the groundcloth and the
            tent floor,
            > and then you have a problem. I highly recommend using a
            groundcloth, at
            > least one of those clear painter's dropcloths, under even modern
            tents with
            > floors.
            > Make sure to pack everything in either plastic boxes with good lids,
            > relatively sealable plastic bags, or trunks and boxes with legs.
            Any of these options
            > will keep your clothes and supplies out of any water that does
            invade your
            > tent.
            > Likewise, get a cot or other method of keeping your bedding off of
            the tent
            > floor. If the water comes in when you are sleeping on the floor,
            your bedding
            > gets soaked and you have no other option because the tent floor is
            soaked,
            > too. With a cot, you make sure the bedding is off the floor, and
            even if the
            > floor gets wet, the bed stays dry - and if the blankets do get wet
            by dragging on
            > the floor, you can go into town, run them through the dryer at the
            > laundromat, and put them back on a bed that's still dry.
            > Invest in, at the minimum, a cloak made of at least 85% wool - this
            will
            > allow the rain to roll down the outer fibers of the cloak and drip
            out the bottom.
            > A wool gown and hood also work well, and if we get a Pennsic with
            several
            > days of drizzle and rain and temperatures around 60 degrees, you'll
            be glad of
            > the wool. Just don't throw it in a heap when you take it off; if
            you do it
            > will soak through. Keep it hanging and the water will continue to
            drain away.

            > Brangwayna Morgan

            Yes, I see that I have been misunderstanding the way things are set up
            at Pennsic, and I'm very glad to find they are different! Due to not
            being able to get the money for pre-reg in by the due date, it's
            possible that I may end up in singles camping, hopefully not, but
            worse things could happen. Anyway, thank you very much for the info,
            it is hugely appreciated!
            I wonder if I could have permission to email you off-list with a
            question about the Kazimir and Ateno you mention?

            sincerely--

            karen baker
            Bai Kai-Ling

          • Karen Baker
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 22, 2003
              <justin@4...> wrote:
              > On Sunday 22 June 2003 07:59, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
              > > To my mind, that's not camping alone, as
              > > one of the other options at Pensic is "singles camping", in which
              you take
              > > your tent up and set it up in unused space, with no idea who might
              come in
              > > near you.
              >
              > Speaking of which, if you *do* end up single-camping at Pennsic,
              there is
              > a plot of single camping area very near our household encampment, in
              N22, and
              > we would welcome any newcomers to camp there. Because the
              registration date
              > is passed, we can't allocate land *inside* our campsite, but we
              usually end
              > up being right next to the single camping area, so you could be next
              door
              > neighbors if you wish. :-)
              >
              > Justin
              >
              > --
              > ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
              <::::::::::::::::::[]xxxx()
              > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable, on a chief dovetailed Or, two keys
              > fesswise reversed sable.
              >
              > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio)
              http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              > justin@4... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

              This actually might end up happening! I need to double check with a
              couple people, but because I wasn't able to complete the pre-reg
              payment in time, it looks like I might end upsingles camping. If so, I
              shall remember your kind offer.

              Thank you again--

              karen baker
              Bai Kai-Ling
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
                On Monday 23 June 2003 02:40, Karen Baker wrote:
                > This actually might end up happening! I need to double check with a
                > couple people, but because I wasn't able to complete the pre-reg
                > payment in time, it looks like I might end upsingles camping. If so, I
                > shall remember your kind offer.

                No problem. If you end up doing this, please email me off list and we'll
                arrange to meet at Troll or some other convenient place so I can show you
                where the area is.

                fesswise reversed sable.

              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 23, 2003
                  On Monday 23 June 2003 02:25, Karen Baker wrote:
                  > Upon reading this and other responses, I realize my idea of camping
                  > is not what I shall find in truth at Pennsic, and this is good. I had
                  > assumed camping with Ostgardr [which is technically a Crown Province,
                  > but that's in effect a barony] meant being pretty much self-sufficent,
                  > but the descriptions I've been given are much more welcoming than
                  > that. Frankly, when I asked Viscount Edward Zifran it was the first
                  > time I had seen him or spoken to him and was for some reason reticent
                  > to ask questions. I suppose because I had heard a bit about him.

                  Oh, Fast Eddie has quite a reputation. He can be a very imposing man,
                  because he has a very sharp wit, a bit of a temper, and does not suffer
                  fools gladly. But he usually preys on the persistently clueless, and
                  I have never known His Excellency to mistake "new" for "clueless." They
                  are not the same thing, and he realizes that. Inside Edward, whether or
                  not he will admit it, is a very nice person who can be a lot of fun
                  to be around. Just don't tell him I let his secret out of the bag! :-)

                  As for the weather and such, a couple of other people have mentioned a point
                  that I want to re-emphasize: Even when the weather does bad things like knock
                  down tents, people *really* pull together at Pennsic to help one another.
                  One year, after a really bad thunderstorm, I was one of the Chirurgeons who
                  helped to set up a secondary Chirurgeon's Point at the barn, to treat
                  hypothermia cases (there were no serious injuries, but a lot of people
                  got wet and cold that night). By the time we had that facility up and running,
                  30 minutes after the storm ended, the Great Dark Horde (a large household)
                  had already set up an emergency soup kitchen and was offering hot meals.
                  That's the kind of people you'll find in the SCA. We have our bad apples,
                  like any other large organization, but we have a lot more good apples
                  than bad.

                  My point is, relax. You're among friends. Ten thousand of them.

                  fesswise reversed sable.