Re: Arabic/Middle Eastern names

  • sca_celt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that by "decent source" you mean a
      source that has a chance of getting passed by the SCA College of
      Heralds. :-)

      With this in mind, here are some good sites:

      By Master Da'ud ibn Auda on Arabic Naming Practices And Period Names
      List. (NOTE: Master Da'ud ibn Auda was once Laurel King of Arms of
      the SCA.)

      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/daud/arabic-naming/

      Arabic Personal Names from the Futuwwah by Mustapha al-Muhaddith ibn
      al-Saqaat

      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mustapha/futuwwah.html

      And there is the Medieval Names Archives - Islamic Names, including
      Arabic, Turkish, and Persian - The have a lot of good links on this
      subjct.

      http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/islamic.shtml

      Hope these help.

      Rayne
      Meridies

      Holli Hartman <hmhartman@p...> wrote:
      > Can someone point me towards a decent source of Arabic and/or
      Middle Eastern names online? Thanks!

      > Margaret of Hollingford
    • Holli Hartman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        It's actually for something else, but if it's SCA Heralds-acceptable
        than it's bound to be more than enough for non-SCA use. Thanks for
        the links!

        Margaret

        --
        x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
        Margaret of Hollingford mka Holli Hartman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          Not meaning to pry, but I used to Belly-dance in Turkey and I am the
          Dean of the Meridian College of Middle and Far Eastern Studies.

          If you are looking for female names for ME dancers/drummers or
          reasons where documentation is not a concern, I have other sites for
          those (kind of) names with what the names mean.

          Rayne
          MKA: Raine SCA: Rayne When I danced in Turkey: Yagmur - which
          means (guess...- It means Rain.) I am not very creative with
          names. :-)

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Holli Hartman <hmhartman@p...>
          wrote:> It's actually for something else, but if it's SCA Heralds-