Arabic/Middle Eastern names

  • Holli Hartman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      Can someone point me towards a decent source of Arabic and/or Middle
      Eastern names online? Thanks!

      --
      x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
      Margaret of Hollingford mka Holli Hartman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
        I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that by "decent source" you mean a
        source that has a chance of getting passed by the SCA College of
        Heralds. :-)

        With this in mind, here are some good sites:

        By Master Da'ud ibn Auda on Arabic Naming Practices And Period Names
        List. (NOTE: Master Da'ud ibn Auda was once Laurel King of Arms of
        the SCA.)

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/daud/arabic-naming/

        Arabic Personal Names from the Futuwwah by Mustapha al-Muhaddith ibn
        al-Saqaat

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mustapha/futuwwah.html

        And there is the Medieval Names Archives - Islamic Names, including
        Arabic, Turkish, and Persian - The have a lot of good links on this
        subjct.

        http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/islamic.shtml

        Hope these help.

        Rayne
        Meridies

        Holli Hartman <hmhartman@p...> wrote:
        > Can someone point me towards a decent source of Arabic and/or
        Middle Eastern names online? Thanks!

        > Margaret of Hollingford
      • Holli Hartman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          It's actually for something else, but if it's SCA Heralds-acceptable
          than it's bound to be more than enough for non-SCA use. Thanks for
          the links!

          Margaret

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            Not meaning to pry, but I used to Belly-dance in Turkey and I am the
            Dean of the Meridian College of Middle and Far Eastern Studies.

            If you are looking for female names for ME dancers/drummers or
            reasons where documentation is not a concern, I have other sites for
            those (kind of) names with what the names mean.

            Rayne
            MKA: Raine SCA: Rayne When I danced in Turkey: Yagmur - which
            means (guess...- It means Rain.) I am not very creative with
            names. :-)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Holli Hartman <hmhartman@p...>
            wrote:> It's actually for something else, but if it's SCA Heralds-