Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fwd: A Little History

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 7:51 AM
      On Tuesday 03 June 2003 09:52, Jane Allard Gray wrote:
      > According to www.snopes.com, the "facts" contained in
      > this e-mail are urban legends.

      Yep....I've seen that particular message before on other lists.

      > In reference to the
      > "chewing the fat" saying, the site states:
      >
      > The term chewing the fat doesn't seem to have been
      > around prior to the American Civil War. One theory
      > links it to sailors attempting to chomp on the tough
      > rind found in salt pork sea rations. As Richard
      > Lederer puts it, "What seems clear is that chewing the
      > fat, like shooting the breeze, provides little
      > sustenance for the amount of mastication involved."

      Snopes says "one theory links it to sailors...", but they don't seem to
      know for sure. It's possible that the Innuit theory I had heard elsewhere
      may have some truth, too. I think I'll do a bit more digging on this one,
      to see what I can find. Perhaps my wife the librarian can help. :-) My
      curiosity is piqued now.

      fesswise reversed sable.