Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fwd: A Little History

  • Jane Allard Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
      wrote:
      > I had always heard that the "chewing the fat"
      > expression came from the Innuit
      > custom of chewing seal hides (with the fat on them)
      > for nutrition and to
      > soften the hide for use as leather. Anyone know for
      > sure?

      Justin,

      According to www.snopes.com, the "facts" contained in
      this e-mail are urban legends. In reference to the
      "chewing the fat" saying, the site states:

      The term chewing the fat doesn't seem to have been
      around prior to the American Civil War. One theory
      links it to sailors attempting to chomp on the tough
      rind found in salt pork sea rations. As Richard
      Lederer puts it, "What seems clear is that chewing the
      fat, like shooting the breeze, provides little
      sustenance for the amount of mastication involved."

      Full details with the origins of many of the other
      sayings can be found at:
      http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.htm

      Ariadne

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        On Tuesday 03 June 2003 09:52, Jane Allard Gray wrote:
        > According to www.snopes.com, the "facts" contained in
        > this e-mail are urban legends.

        Yep....I've seen that particular message before on other lists.

        > In reference to the
        > "chewing the fat" saying, the site states:
        >
        > The term chewing the fat doesn't seem to have been
        > around prior to the American Civil War. One theory
        > links it to sailors attempting to chomp on the tough
        > rind found in salt pork sea rations. As Richard
        > Lederer puts it, "What seems clear is that chewing the
        > fat, like shooting the breeze, provides little
        > sustenance for the amount of mastication involved."

        Snopes says "one theory links it to sailors...", but they don't seem to
        know for sure. It's possible that the Innuit theory I had heard elsewhere
        may have some truth, too. I think I'll do a bit more digging on this one,
        to see what I can find. Perhaps my wife the librarian can help. :-) My
        curiosity is piqued now.

        fesswise reversed sable.