Re: [SCA Newcomers] Fwd: A Little History

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      On Tuesday 03 June 2003 08:40, authoressmeow@... wrote:
      > > >Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.
      > > When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It
      > > was a sign of wealth that a man "could bring home the bacon." They would
      > > cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew
      > > the fat."

      I had always heard that the "chewing the fat" expression came from the Innuit
      custom of chewing seal hides (with the fat on them) for nutrition and to
      soften the hide for use as leather. Anyone know for sure?

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • Jane Allard Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        --- Iustinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
        wrote:
        > I had always heard that the "chewing the fat"
        > expression came from the Innuit
        > custom of chewing seal hides (with the fat on them)
        > for nutrition and to
        > soften the hide for use as leather. Anyone know for
        > sure?

        Justin,

        According to www.snopes.com, the "facts" contained in
        this e-mail are urban legends. In reference to the
        "chewing the fat" saying, the site states:

        The term chewing the fat doesn't seem to have been
        around prior to the American Civil War. One theory
        links it to sailors attempting to chomp on the tough
        rind found in salt pork sea rations. As Richard
        Lederer puts it, "What seems clear is that chewing the
        fat, like shooting the breeze, provides little
        sustenance for the amount of mastication involved."

        Full details with the origins of many of the other
        sayings can be found at:
        http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/1500.htm

        Ariadne

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
          On Tuesday 03 June 2003 09:52, Jane Allard Gray wrote:
          > According to www.snopes.com, the "facts" contained in
          > this e-mail are urban legends.

          Yep....I've seen that particular message before on other lists.

          > In reference to the
          > "chewing the fat" saying, the site states:
          >
          > The term chewing the fat doesn't seem to have been
          > around prior to the American Civil War. One theory
          > links it to sailors attempting to chomp on the tough
          > rind found in salt pork sea rations. As Richard
          > Lederer puts it, "What seems clear is that chewing the
          > fat, like shooting the breeze, provides little
          > sustenance for the amount of mastication involved."

          Snopes says "one theory links it to sailors...", but they don't seem to
          know for sure. It's possible that the Innuit theory I had heard elsewhere
          may have some truth, too. I think I'll do a bit more digging on this one,
          to see what I can find. Perhaps my wife the librarian can help. :-) My
          curiosity is piqued now.

          fesswise reversed sable.