Re: [SCA Newcomers] Name to register *please HELP*

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2003
      In a message dated 5/30/2003 6:52:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I heard that back then races didn't mix, but I don't believe this.
      > Besides, the persona is a "made up" person from that era, not
      > someone that actually existed, so why can't I do that.

      They certainly did have "mixed marriages" between citizens of different
      countries; however, all of the evidence points to people being named following the
      practice of the country they live in, regardless of where their parents are
      from. Now, I don't know if that might be an artifact of the fact that most of
      the documents with name lists are official things like who owed what rent, or
      who was involved in court cases, so the official people just changed the name,
      sort of like Ellis Island - but apparently it was important that the person be
      cited by the name most commonly used in the community, so that the records
      could be searched later and it would be clear who was being referred to.
      Writing down a name other than that the person was known by would mess that up;
      everybody would look at it and say, "now who was so-and-so again?"

      The distinction between persona and name registration is this: The College
      of Arms couldn't care less what your persona is. They are in the business of
      registering names that are constructed along plausibly period lines, based on
      available evidence found in period sources that list names. Nothing more,
      nothing less. If you can find examples of names constructed from a first name of
      one country and a byname of another country, show it to them and they will
      likely agree. But, I suspect it would be far more likely to find someone of
      Spanish origin referred to in England as so-and-so of Spain rather than of as from
      some strange part of Spain they've never heard of. It would be far more
      likely to be referred to by a province name if you just moved to another province
      in Spain.