RE: [SCA Newcomers] Digest Number 372

  • Rachel L. Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 6:37 AM
      Drakes said:

      I want to register a name, but I am having a very hard time figuring
      out how to do it. Let me explain.

      **A good place to start is your local group's Herald.**

      I can trace my family back to Spain from my great grandfather back.
      So I wanted to incorporate some of that.
      I can also trace my heart to Scotland (long spiritual story), and
      even though I can't trace any actual heritage back to there, I still
      want to incorporate some of that, too.

      My idea was, the Crussaded. A friend mentioned that if my persona
      was between 900 and late 1200s or 1300s, that I could get away with
      somehow mixing the 2.

      **Why would you have to center in on the Crusades? Merchants went back & forth through out our period.**

      I was thinking that maybe my father (spanish merchant or something)
      could have taken my mother from Scotland and brought her to Spain,
      where I was born.

      I was thinking of using the celtic name Yssbel (close in
      pronounciation to the spanish name Isabel) as my first name, and
      using "of Catalunya" or something like that as my "last name", since
      that is where my family originates from.

      **There is no "Celtic" people in the SCA. I am a member of the Academy of St Gabriel (http://www.s-gabriel.org) and we deal with the Celtic question all the time. Here is a standard response we give people:
      "The word <Celtic> describes a group of languages or cultures, including the Irish and Scottish Gaels, but also including the Welsh, Cornish, Manx, and Bretons. All these nations considered themselves quite separate in our period; no one thought of himself as a Celt. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "Celt" first appeared in the English language in 1607, "Celtic" in 1656 [_The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary_ (New York: Oxford University Press, 1973)]." **

      I heard that back then races didn't mix, but I don't believe this.
      Besides, the persona is a "made up" person from that era, not
      someone that actually existed, so why can't I do that.

      **Here is the Academy's response to this question:
      "Although it is very common in the Society to try to indicate mixed parentage in one's name, it simply wasn't done in period. In the rare cases when two people from different countries married, their children were named according to the naming practices of the country where they lived. If they moved from one country to another, they would either retain their original names or use local equivalents. That is to say, if a Frenchman named <Jean> settled in an Italian city, he might have been known to the Italians as <Giovanni Francesco> "Giovanni the Frenchman". If he married and had a son, the boy might be known by two forms of his name: one French, one Italian. But it would make no sense for anyone to call him something half French and half Italian. "

      I hope this helps you out! Feel free to check out the Academy's website, we like to help gentles in the SCA develop historically accurate names & devices. We are currently "on vacation" (taking care of our backlog), but once this gets cleared up in a couple months, we should be accepting new questions.

      Have a great weekend!

      Anplica Dell'Isola