RE: [SCA Newcomers] Deciding on a time period

  • Rachel L. Gray
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2003
      >Thanks. I have figured it out, I will be literally be a person off my family
      >tree. This means I will be from Scotland living in england during the 16th
      >century. Her name was also Rebekah so it will be interesting. My problem was
      >that I am drawn to all of the time periods that we can play...

      That is a wonderful way to incorporate who you are into what you can be in the SCA! I like it, I like it a lot! :) What most of the gentles in my shire do, is pick a period for their persona by name, area of interest or whatnot, and go from there. They do not stick to only activities, clothing, etc of that period, but simply use their period as a launching off place to get started. In fact, our Seneschal, picked her period because it was the only way she could document her name, Gail McTaggert (I think she is late period Scottish). Her garb closet is full of different periods and countries garb, from Italian Ren to T-tunics. As for me, I am pretty sure I'll base my garb off my period for the most part for now, but hope to get some beautiful Italian Ren &/or upper class Tudor someday when I can afford it.

      The ever flexible -
      Anplica Dell'Isola (13th Century Central Italian who really likes the whole undertunic/overtunic in the same color look with shorter sleeves and length on the overtunic, & beautiful trim on both.)
    • authoressmeow@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 27, 2003
        I just got back from the thrift store and found something amazing there. I
        just have to remove the zipper from this dress and it is a perfect upper-class
        tudor, I am so happy to. I am going to work on that right now, I will have my
        first peice of garb by lunch time.
        Rebekah Murray of the Outlands.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2003
          On Tuesday 27 May 2003 11:33, authoressmeow@... wrote:
          > I just got back from the thrift store and found something amazing there. I
          > just have to remove the zipper from this dress and it is a perfect
          > upper-class tudor, I am so happy to. I am going to work on that right now,
          > I will have my first peice of garb by lunch time.

          Wow! You're a lucky lady indeed!

          You could leave the zipper in and say that you're doing "late 20th century
          North American Tudor" as your period of study. [GRIN]

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • authoressmeow@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2003
            lol, nope I am going to do this right. It is even the colors of my choice.
            Rebekah Murray

          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 5 , May 28, 2003
              Thrift stores/Op-shops are brilliant for picking up little- and not
              so little things. Most of my feasting gear, my feast basket, my
              dress tunic and 5m of stunning green velvet for my new dress all
              came fro the St. Vincent de Paul down the road.
              It really pays to keep your eyes open, as most SCAdians will attest.

              Vivere, Amore, Discere,
              Morag the Barde