Re: [SCA Newcomers] What's in an SCA name?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2003
      In a message dated 5/13/2003 6:29:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > While I assume that the SCA was more lax back then, can these
      > "allowances" be used as "Precedence" since their already in the
      > database, could I get away with using "Angus Alasdair MacDonald Bane of
      > Northern Myrkwood" ;)

      No.
      Many previously-accepted structures and names have been disallowed for some
      time. Even if 1000 people registered names from Myrkwood or Rohan or
      whatever in the 1970's, you still would not be able to register it now.
      Basically, when they changed the rule, anyobody who had already registered
      that sort of name got grandfathered in, but nobody else is allowed to do
      names like that.

      It's all part of the fact that the Society as a whole is learning mroe and
      more about how things actually worked in history, and name registration is
      one of the few areas that has really kept up with that knowledge officially.
      It's now possible to learn an immense amount about medieval naming practices
      for a dozen cultures or more, just by talkign to the College of Heralds, if
      you're interested.

      Brangwayna

      Message 2 of 2 , May 13, 2003
        In a message dated 5/13/2003 6:29:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > I have a name in mind. One that I've used for over 15 years. It's
        > an original name, and I'm not sure if it's plyable as an SCA name.
        > Avalonthas Draconys. The first name has no history, other then it's
        > a play on Avalon. Draconys means Dragon. How this name came about,
        > was from an RPG, but the name is very much a part of me. The
        > Draconys, comes from my love of dragons. I collect em. Avalon is
        > from my love of the Arthurian Legend, specifically the book Mists of
        > Avalon, though, I've read many books about King Arthur, and also
        > enjoyed Crystal Caverns, Hollow Hills, etc. I respond to Avalonthas
        > just as easily as I respond to my own name, and other then the fact
        > that it doesn't really have a historical reference as a name, I'm
        > hoping that it would be allowed, as it very much reflects me, in so
        > many ways.

        Well, that depends. If you just want something for people to call you that
        you are familiar with, you can go ahead and use it, technically.
        On the other hand, if you want to register it to keep it for your use only,
        or to register a coat of arms, or (in some kingdoms) to receive a scroll with
        any awards you get, then you are likely to run into trouble.
        The SCA doesn't register invented names, and they don't care about your
        persona story - they care about whether or not the names you've chosen would
        plausibly have been used in the same way by someone in the Middle Ages or
        Renaissance.
        You might be lucky enough to have a dedicated herald help you find a name
        that sounds similar. But I can pretty confidently say that you won't be able
        to register Avalonthas Draconys as it stands.

        Brangwayna