Hello everyone

  • Lord Peter Marshal of Cascadia
    Message 1 of 18 , May 12 1:56 PM
      I am attending my first SCA event this upcoming weekend, the An
      Tir May Crown Tournement. I just have one question for anyone
      who is knowledgable about names. I have chosen the name
      Peter Marshal (normally has 2 Ls, but to keep it from conflicting
      with modern names I droped one), and all I need to know is: Is
      this a legal SCA name, and does anyone know if anyone else
      has it?
      Thank you for any help!
      --Peter Marshal
      cascadia4@...
    • athterath@HotPOP.com
      Message 2 of 18 , May 14 1:45 AM
        Peter Marshal asked:
        >Is this a legal SCA name, and does anyone know if anyone else has it?

        Whether it's SCA-compatible is covered by the Rules for Submission
        <http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html> and based on the
        documented naming practices of the culture it's meant to represent.

        Whether anyone else has it is something you can check through the
        online O&A. Just search for the name using one of the forms
        <http://oanda.sca.org//index.html>. It won't show anyone whose name
        is part-way through the submissions process, but you can see those
        which have already been registered.

        I found only one person with the byname "Marshal" (personal name
        "Anne"), and one with the byname "Marshall" (personal name "Leowyn").
        I didn't plow through all the names incorporating "Peter" or a
        cognate. . .there are a lot more of them.

        Misty Blagg
        <mailto:Athterath@...>
      • Gabriel Mortimer
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 25, 2009
          Hello!

          i'm still new to SCA, i've been wanting to join for the longest time but never really could committee. I saw a demo of my local group like 2 weeks ago and decided to just do it because it looked so much fun. Anyways, i've been trying to narrow down some persona options and i wanted to get some feedback from everyone here

          I was thinking of doing Viking era, i was wondering if anyone had any resources or knowledge for clothing, arts and science, suggestions for why its a good era or maybe suggestions why it isnt and some options on which is.

          Nice to meet you all and thanks!

          Dane
        • caring4thelittlethings
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2010
            I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.
          • D'vorah bat Atar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
              On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:59 AM, caring4thelittlethings wrote:

              > I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.

              Welcome, Caring! No worries, you don't have to be an SCA paid member to enjoy participating in the SCA. In fact, the only things non-members can't do are hold office and... Actually, I think that's it, come to think of it. Could someone correct me, please?

              Of course, 'offices' is a somewhat broad term, and it includes royalty and nobility. If someone gets called Your _____ (majesty, excellency, grace, highness), that's an office. Being called Lady, Lord, Mistress, Master, Sir, and I think Madam... those are nobles, too, and that's something a non-member can't be called. But most people in the SCA do portray 'minor' nobles -- people who don't have actual titles, but who do deserve to be treated as gentlefolk. In fact, the generic term for "people associated with the SCA in any way, or just attending an event or meeting" is just that: gentles. Upper-middle class seems to be about the lowest social status that most will claim, though there are a few religious figures that claim status religiously but not socially, and of course there are always peasants (chiefly those who don't have the ability to buy or make really good garb). So playing someone who's wealthy and/or of 'gentle' birth, that's not a problem at all!

              This list is a great way to introduce yourself to SCA folks through conversation. Another really fun way is to attend local fighter practices, arts-and-sciences (A&S) gatherings, and so forth. Have you found your local shire? We can help you get in touch with them and see about joining them at their gatherings that take place between events.

              We're so glad to have you with us, and look forward to teaching you and learning with you and from you. :)
              D'vorah bat Atar
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
              dvorah@...
              http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar
            • Gavin Kinkade
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                Welcome,

                As a baronies hospitaller (in thje duty of helping new folks), I would urge you to talk and ask questions. You will find most members of the SCA are willing to answer any and all questions you may have and at times can talk your ear off (LOL) on specific subjects.

                Do not be afraid, most of us have had our rabbies shots, and variious other innoculations. We put on our pants the same way as you, both legs at the same time :) Ask as much as you would like to know about us, and we will try to answer as best we can, or we will seek someone out to help you.

                Just understand that most of us will not activly seek you(new people) out, and we prefer to wait until you are ready to talk to us before we enter into conversation, so as not to scare you off. But from the outsider looking in, it may resemble a "Stand-off-ish-ness" about our group. I guess some may call it our flaw, but its our way of waiting for your to be comfortable enough about us to approach us. Then when we know you are comfy, we can and will share as much as we are able.

                Just remember this... no question is a stupid one, unless it's the one left unsaid.

                Peace and welcome.

                Gavin Kyncade
                Marcaster Hospitaller and Ranger
                Kingdom of Trimaris.

                ________________________________
                I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.

              • j davis
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to me, I'm looking forward to it!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bat Atar <dvorah@...> wrote:

                      > On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:59 AM, caring4thelittlethings wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.
                      >

                      > Welcome, Caring! No worries, you don't have to be an SCA paid member to enjoy participating in the SCA. In fact, the only things non-members can't do are hold office and... Actually, I think that's it, come to think of it. Could someone correct me, please?
                      >
                      > Of course, 'offices' is a somewhat broad term, and it includes royalty and nobility. If someone gets called Your _____ (majesty, excellency, grace, highness), that's an office. Being called Lady, Lord, Mistress, Master, Sir, and I think Madam... those are nobles, too, and that's something a non-member can't be called. But most people in the SCA do portray 'minor' nobles -- people who don't have actual titles, but who do deserve to be treated as gentlefolk. In fact, the generic term for "people associated with the SCA in any way, or just attending an event or meeting" is just that: gentles. Upper-middle class seems to be about the lowest social status that most will claim, though there are a few religious figures that claim status religiously but not socially, and of course there are always peasants (chiefly those who don't have the ability to buy or make really good garb). So playing someone who's wealthy and/or of 'gentle' birth, that's not a problem at all!
                      >
                      > This list is a great way to introduce yourself to SCA folks through conversation. Another really fun way is to attend local fighter practices, arts-and-sciences (A&S) gatherings, and so forth. Have you found your local shire? We can help you get in touch with them and see about joining them at their gatherings that take place between events.
                      >
                      > We're so glad to have you with us, and look forward to teaching you and learning with you and from you. :)
                      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      > D'vorah bat Atar
                      > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                      > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                      > dvorah@...
                      > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
                      > http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar
                      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                      Thank you for the welcome. I hope to fully join the SCA fairly soon, so I'd like to learn more about titles, etc.
                      I have joined my local group - Champclair - on yahoo groups. My request was accepted today, so I haven't said anything there yet.
                      I truly appreciate the personalized welcome, instead of an automatic one.
                    • lizalizfuller@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2010
                        Take me off your list before I report abuse

                        From: "caring4thelittlethings" <caring4thelittlethings@...>
                        Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:18:21
                        To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                          On 4 Jan 2010, at 9:57 PM, lizalizfuller@... wrote:

                          > Take me off your list before I report abuse

                          At the bottom of every single email sent through this list are the directions for how to manage membership, including how to unsubscribe.

                          I'm not a moderator for the list, so I can't unsubscribe you, but I still apologize on behalf of whoever subscribed you without your permission.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                            Lizalizfuller, If you do not wish to belong to SCANewcomers, you may
                            unsubscribe by sending an email to
                            scanewcomers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com directly from your blackberry/yahoo
                            mail account and that should unsubscribe you as well.

                            On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM, D'vorah bat Atar <
                            dvorah@...> wrote:

                            > On 4 Jan 2010, at 9:57 PM, lizalizfuller@...<lizalizfuller%40yahoo.com>wrote:
                            >
                            > > Take me off your list before I report abuse
                            >
                            > At the bottom of every single email sent through this list are the
                            > directions for how to manage membership, including how to unsubscribe.
                            >
                            > I'm not a moderator for the list, so I can't unsubscribe you, but I still
                            > apologize on behalf of whoever subscribed you without your permission.
                            >
                            > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                            >

                            > D'vorah bat Atar
                            > Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                            > Middle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
                            > dvorah@... <dvorah%40consensualreality.net>
                            >
                            > http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
                            > http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar

                          • David Backlin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 03:57 +0000, lizalizfuller@... wrote:
                                > Take me off your list before I report abuse

                                Your subscription to this list was self-initiated on your own Yahoo
                                account, and also it is under your control to *unsubscribe*. Please see
                                the following instructions which appear with every message from the
                                list:

                                I am sorry that you accidentally subscribed to a list you don't want,
                                but in general you will find that list moderators will be glad to assist
                                you if you request it politely. Threats of abuse reports are less
                                productive than a simple, polite request.

                                If you have difficulty using the unsubscribe instructions above, please
                                email scanewcomers-owner@yahoogroups.com and I will assist you.

                                Kind regards,

                                fesswise reversed sable.

                                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                              • Kyla
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                  Actually, there are a few other things you can't do, if you are not a paid
                                  member.
                                  You, can't for instance, fight in a tournament at an event.
                                  In order to fight at an event, you must be authorized to fight, and in order
                                  to authorize, you must be a paid member - it's a liability issue.

                                  Also, I don't know enough about pointy hats and official positions to point
                                  out exactly what's wrong with some of this, but I don't think this is quite
                                  right.
                                  Does anyone else know more about what exactly an officer is, and who is and
                                  who is not required to be a paid member?

                                  When in doubt, return to the source - in this case corpora:
                                  http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf
                                  A quick glance at the table of contents should show you where exactly to
                                  look.

                                  I hope this helps the several newcomers who have expressed their desire to
                                  be more involved with the SCA.

                                  Tabitha Pennywarden
                                  Ravenslake, Midlands
                                  Middle Kingdom

                                  On 4 Jan 2010, at 12:59 AM, caring4thelittlethings wrote:

                                  > I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but I'd
                                  like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the part. I'm
                                  thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not royalty or
                                  anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to people in the SCA
                                  and look forward to learning all kinds of new things.

                                  Welcome, Caring! No worries, you don't have to be an SCA paid member to
                                  enjoy participating in the SCA. In fact, the only things non-members can't
                                  do are hold office and... Actually, I think that's it, come to think of it.
                                  Could someone correct me, please?

                                  Of course, 'offices' is a somewhat broad term, and it includes royalty and
                                  nobility. If someone gets called Your _____ (majesty, excellency, grace,
                                  highness), that's an office. Being called Lady, Lord, Mistress, Master, Sir,
                                  and I think Madam... those are nobles, too, and that's something a
                                  non-member can't be called. But most people in the SCA do portray 'minor'
                                  nobles -- people who don't have actual titles, but who do deserve to be
                                  treated as gentlefolk. In fact, the generic term for "people associated with
                                  the SCA in any way, or just attending an event or meeting" is just that:
                                  gentles. Upper-middle class seems to be about the lowest social status that
                                  most will claim, though there are a few religious figures that claim status
                                  religiously but not socially, and of course there are always peasants
                                  (chiefly those who don't have the ability to buy or make really good garb).
                                  So playing someone who's wealthy and/or of 'gentle' birth, that's not a
                                  problem at all!

                                  This list is a great way to introduce yourself to SCA folks through
                                  conversation. Another really fun way is to attend local fighter practices,
                                  arts-and-sciences (A&S) gatherings, and so forth. Have you found your local
                                  shire? We can help you get in touch with them and see about joining them at
                                  their gatherings that take place between events.

                                  We're so glad to have you with us, and look forward to teaching you and
                                  learning with you and from you. :)
                                  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                                  -=-=-=-
                                  D'vorah bat Atar
                                  Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                                  dvorah@...
                                  http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar
                                • Stefan li Rous
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
                                    <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
                                    I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
                                    part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
                                    royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
                                    people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
                                    things.>>>

                                    <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
                                    myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
                                    the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
                                    me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>

                                    The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
                                    assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
                                    lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
                                    don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
                                    unless you've earned those ranks.

                                    If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
                                    the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
                                    award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.

                                    It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.

                                    I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
                                    Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
                                    below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
                                    and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
                                    might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
                                    files and articles each month.

                                    One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
                                    which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
                                    clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
                                    TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
                                    a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
                                    embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
                                    on armor and fight.

                                    If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
                                    perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
                                    those interests in the SCA.

                                    Stefan
                                    --------
                                  • caring4thelittlethings
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010

                                      > <<<I'm in the same boat as "bwitchr" - I'm not an actual member, but
                                      > I'd like to feel around the SCA. I love ren faires and dressing the
                                      > part. I'm thinking I'd like a somewhat upper class persona, but not
                                      > royalty or anything. I'm really happy to have found a way to talk to
                                      > people in the SCA and look forward to learning all kinds of new
                                      > things.>>>
                                      >
                                      > <<< Thank you for the welcome. I'll keep in mind that I must put
                                      > myself forward. That will be an experience for me, as I tend to stick
                                      > the corner. Getting my ear talked-off will be absolutely no bother to
                                      > me, I'm looking forward to it! >>>
                                      >
                                      > The assumption in the SCA is that unless told otherwise, everyone is
                                      > assumed to be of the upper class. As D'vorah alluded, there can be a
                                      > lot of titles in the SCA. Titles are earned though, not assumed. So
                                      > don't go around claiming that you are a captain, or Lord or Prince
                                      > unless you've earned those ranks.
                                      >
                                      > If you are in doubt simply address someone as m'lord or m'lady. Note
                                      > the lower case. Lord or Lady is a title usually earned with your first
                                      > award in the Society, the AoA or Award of Arms.
                                      >
                                      > It is possible to have a peasant or lower persona if you wish.
                                      >
                                      > I'm probably a bit biased, but you might want to take a look at the
                                      > Florilegium website. You can find the address in my signature line
                                      > below. It currently has a little over 2200 different files on the SCA
                                      > and the Middle Ages, so hopefully there are some files there that you
                                      > might find of interest. If not, well, I keep trying to add a few more
                                      > files and articles each month.
                                      >
                                      > One area you might first want to look in is the NEWCOMERS section
                                      > which gives you some more information about the SCA. If period
                                      > clothing is your interest then there is the CLOTHING section and the
                                      > TEXTILE-ARTS section. I can't tell from your messages whether you are
                                      > a lord or a lady, but we have guys, including knights, who do
                                      > embroidery and various textile arts crafts and we have wommen who put
                                      > on armor and fight.
                                      >
                                      > If you can tell us more about what your specific interests are,
                                      > perhaps I or someone else can point you to help you get started on
                                      > those interests in the SCA.
                                      >
                                      > Stefan
                                      > --------

                                      I would be a lady. I am interested in a lot of things - archery, anything to do with horses and animals, herbs and healing, needle-work, books and writing, dancing. Pretty much anything I'm pointed at is good, but those are my main interests in regular life. Thank you for the extra details.

                                      Elizabeth
                                    • Kat
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 18, 2010
                                        Hello Caring,

                                        I'm right there in the boat with you! I am very interested but really shy all at the same time. Just can't imagine walking attending an event and not know anyone.

                                        My family back home have taken me to a few events and it was sooo much fun! The SCA is fascinating and the time era's covered are some of my favorite bits of history.

                                        Good luck!

                                        Kathleen