Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb snarks

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5 4:27 PM
      On Monday 05 May 2003 18:09, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > Despite all the stories to the contrary, actual in your face garb snarking
      > is VERY rare. I've been in the SCA 13 years; I only started caring about
      > authenticity about 7 or 8 years ago, so I spent 6 or 7 years (very active
      > years, maybe 10-20 events a year) mostly in RenFaire wench garb.

      <humor_mode>
      I personally think we should arbitrarily define wench garb as being period
      for any persona, but perhaps I am merely showing my lecherous side.
      </humor_mode>

      Seriously, Brangwayna makes a good point here. Garb snarking is pretty rare,
      and generally when it does occur it is directed toward people who claim
      expertise in that area (when others disagree with that claim). If anyone
      does comment on your garb, there is nothing at all wrong with saying, "Well,
      this is my first garb. I had it mostly finished before I realized that there
      were some authenticity problems, but I'll fix those on my next project. In
      the meantime, I have something pretty to wear at events while I look around
      to see more authentic examples."

      Generally, a reply like that is more likely to result in offers of research
      help, rather than further criticism. Most authenticity mavens are altogether
      glad to teach, and would rather do that than criticize. For the minority of
      people who really enjoy criticizing others -- well, these folks are found
      in any organization, and they dishonor *themselves* by their conduct. They
      deserve nothing better than to be ignored by the rest of us. The SCA only
      officially requires "an attempt" at pre-1600 costume. Anyone who disagrees
      with that rule should be politely directed to take it up with their local
      Seneschal. (Having been one, I can tell you they are likely to get exactly
      *nowhere* with that tactic. [GRIN])

      But you'll find that most people, when learning that you *made* your first
      garb all by yourself, will be seriously impressed and will be eager to help
      you make more. Expect many more compliments than criticisms. :-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • authoressmeow@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5 5:03 PM
        If anyone says anything to you it will be mostlikely to offer help. My
        mentors in the SCA are going to help make my first garb as I learn to sew.
        Relax

      • vujadea200@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5 9:22 PM
          Hey all,
          I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
          weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to meet
          people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

          Adena

        • dontwait4themessiah
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6 1:30 AM
            Our group, Agaricus, near Rowany, Lochac (Sydney, Australia) is
            generally very good about it too. I found this pretty
            looking 'tunic' in black velvet with purple and gold and loved it.
            It turned out to be a dress, but the only thing anyone ever said
            about it was 'You look very pretty today Morag. That's a nice Bob
            outfit you've put together'.
            All you have to do when someone says 'that's all wrong' is
            say 'Yeah, well, the Society is about making an ATTEMPT.' That shuts
            the sharks up.

            Morag the Barde
            Shire of Agaricus, Kingdom of Lochac
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6 5:19 AM
              On Tuesday 06 May 2003 00:22, vujadea200@... wrote:
              > I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
              > weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to
              > meet people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

              My lady, Milica, and I will be there for morning court but will have to leave
              shortly after lunch. I'm likely to be wearing teal pants and a tunic of
              orange-ish yellow. For coronation I might actually wear my Pelican cloak,
              something that I save for very formal occasions. Have to think about that
              one.

              By all means, please introduce yourself to us! We'd love to meet you, and it
              would be a pleasure and an honor to welcome a guest from far lands to the
              Middle Kingdom.

              fesswise reversed sable.