Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb snarks

    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2003
      In a message dated 5/5/2003 5:19:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Have any of you guys ever started a piece of garb, and by the time
      > you finish it, you find out that it's all wrong?

      All the time. And I've been doing this for 13 years. I am currently working
      on a bliaut in fine wool and have two "mistakes" - I sewed the front and back
      panels together at the shoulder instead of using one piece, which I've been
      told may stop the v-neck from working properly; and I really should have done
      the embroidery for the sleeves on a separate band and put it on as a facing.
      But I'm halfway through the embroidery for one sleeve, and I ain't stopping
      now!

      > I now know that it is the bastard child of a bilaut, a t-tunic, and a
      > kirtle. I made it out of blue 100% cotton fabric (it's just too hot
      > in Florida for anything else) and then I found out that bilauts were
      > made of silky material.

      We don't really know what bliauts were made of, as there are not any extant
      ones. As long as it's nice and drapy, it should replicate the look properly.
      You might also want to consider linen; I find it even cooler than cotton,
      and it's a period fabric, although not often used in the outer fashion layer,
      perhaps.

      > The neckline is square, and I later found
      > out that bilauts have v-necks.

      Not all bliauts have v-necks. There are definitely some with rounded and
      keyhole necklines. I don't think I've ever seen square.

      > But, it has angel-ish sleeves. I
      > thought I'd be clever and substitute lacing for the zipper in the
      > back. I'm afraid a zipper would've been better because at least it
      > would've been hidden (I don't think they laced bilauts in the back).

      Again, we don't have much info about the backs of bliauts. While we do have
      a (very) few images showing side lacing, there are a number that show no
      lacing at all, even though the sides are clearly visible. Some people have
      said that it's easy to recreate the pleats across the stomach with
      sidelacing, while others have reported that you can do it with back lacing as
      well. I think that any lacing is better than a zipper :-), and again, if it
      gives the right look, then you've at least come close.

      > I'm very frustrated! With all of the talk of "garb snarks," I'm
      > afraid to wear it. Are people really that rude??? I think if anyone
      > says anything to me, I'm just gonna say, "Who asked you?!!?"

      Despite all the stories to the contrary, actual in your face garb snarking is
      VERY rare. I've been in the SCA 13 years; I only started caring about
      authenticity about 7 or 8 years ago, so I spent 6 or 7 years (very active
      years, maybe 10-20 events a year) mostly in RenFaire wench garb. Short
      sleeves, elastic, poly blends, and one really bad attempt at a Viking apron
      dress. And tunics and pants. And mid-calf-length skirts with the hems not
      finished, on purpose, because I thought it looked "peasanty". And I was
      snarked ONCE, at my first event, for having my skirt and petticoat tucked up
      to show off my bloomers in proper Renwench fashion. Once I stopped doing
      that, I stopped hearing any bad comments.
      And honestly, considering some of the things I've seen people wear to first
      events (this past weekend, the guy with the short, not even mid-thigh length
      short-sleeved red tunic over blue jeans, with a baseball cap turned backwards
      on his head comes to mind), you should look positively advanced in your garb
      skills :-)

      Brangwayna
      PS. Just remember that someone who comes up to you and politely mentions
      that they could help you with garb if you are interested is NOT snarking.
      They may well be noting that you are someone who cares about getting it
      right, and would like to help you.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2003
        On Monday 05 May 2003 18:09, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > Despite all the stories to the contrary, actual in your face garb snarking
        > is VERY rare. I've been in the SCA 13 years; I only started caring about
        > authenticity about 7 or 8 years ago, so I spent 6 or 7 years (very active
        > years, maybe 10-20 events a year) mostly in RenFaire wench garb.

        <humor_mode>
        I personally think we should arbitrarily define wench garb as being period
        for any persona, but perhaps I am merely showing my lecherous side.
        </humor_mode>

        Seriously, Brangwayna makes a good point here. Garb snarking is pretty rare,
        and generally when it does occur it is directed toward people who claim
        expertise in that area (when others disagree with that claim). If anyone
        does comment on your garb, there is nothing at all wrong with saying, "Well,
        this is my first garb. I had it mostly finished before I realized that there
        were some authenticity problems, but I'll fix those on my next project. In
        the meantime, I have something pretty to wear at events while I look around
        to see more authentic examples."

        Generally, a reply like that is more likely to result in offers of research
        help, rather than further criticism. Most authenticity mavens are altogether
        glad to teach, and would rather do that than criticize. For the minority of
        people who really enjoy criticizing others -- well, these folks are found
        in any organization, and they dishonor *themselves* by their conduct. They
        deserve nothing better than to be ignored by the rest of us. The SCA only
        officially requires "an attempt" at pre-1600 costume. Anyone who disagrees
        with that rule should be politely directed to take it up with their local
        Seneschal. (Having been one, I can tell you they are likely to get exactly
        *nowhere* with that tactic. [GRIN])

        But you'll find that most people, when learning that you *made* your first
        garb all by yourself, will be seriously impressed and will be eager to help
        you make more. Expect many more compliments than criticisms. :-)

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • authoressmeow@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2003
          If anyone says anything to you it will be mostlikely to offer help. My
          mentors in the SCA are going to help make my first garb as I learn to sew.
          Relax

        • vujadea200@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2003
            Hey all,
            I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
            weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to meet
            people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

            Adena

          • dontwait4themessiah
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2003
              Our group, Agaricus, near Rowany, Lochac (Sydney, Australia) is
              generally very good about it too. I found this pretty
              looking 'tunic' in black velvet with purple and gold and loved it.
              It turned out to be a dress, but the only thing anyone ever said
              about it was 'You look very pretty today Morag. That's a nice Bob
              outfit you've put together'.
              All you have to do when someone says 'that's all wrong' is
              say 'Yeah, well, the Society is about making an ATTEMPT.' That shuts
              the sharks up.

              Morag the Barde
              Shire of Agaricus, Kingdom of Lochac
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2003
                On Tuesday 06 May 2003 00:22, vujadea200@... wrote:
                > I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
                > weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to
                > meet people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

                My lady, Milica, and I will be there for morning court but will have to leave
                shortly after lunch. I'm likely to be wearing teal pants and a tunic of
                orange-ish yellow. For coronation I might actually wear my Pelican cloak,
                something that I save for very formal occasions. Have to think about that
                one.

                By all means, please introduce yourself to us! We'd love to meet you, and it
                would be a pleasure and an honor to welcome a guest from far lands to the
                Middle Kingdom.

                fesswise reversed sable.