Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb snarks

  • authoressmeow@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2003
      I haven't had that kind of problem with the Outlands Al-Barran group

      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2003
        In a message dated 5/5/2003 5:19:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Have any of you guys ever started a piece of garb, and by the time
        > you finish it, you find out that it's all wrong?

        All the time. And I've been doing this for 13 years. I am currently working
        on a bliaut in fine wool and have two "mistakes" - I sewed the front and back
        panels together at the shoulder instead of using one piece, which I've been
        told may stop the v-neck from working properly; and I really should have done
        the embroidery for the sleeves on a separate band and put it on as a facing.
        But I'm halfway through the embroidery for one sleeve, and I ain't stopping
        now!

        > I now know that it is the bastard child of a bilaut, a t-tunic, and a
        > kirtle. I made it out of blue 100% cotton fabric (it's just too hot
        > in Florida for anything else) and then I found out that bilauts were
        > made of silky material.

        We don't really know what bliauts were made of, as there are not any extant
        ones. As long as it's nice and drapy, it should replicate the look properly.
        You might also want to consider linen; I find it even cooler than cotton,
        and it's a period fabric, although not often used in the outer fashion layer,
        perhaps.

        > The neckline is square, and I later found
        > out that bilauts have v-necks.

        Not all bliauts have v-necks. There are definitely some with rounded and
        keyhole necklines. I don't think I've ever seen square.

        > But, it has angel-ish sleeves. I
        > thought I'd be clever and substitute lacing for the zipper in the
        > back. I'm afraid a zipper would've been better because at least it
        > would've been hidden (I don't think they laced bilauts in the back).

        Again, we don't have much info about the backs of bliauts. While we do have
        a (very) few images showing side lacing, there are a number that show no
        lacing at all, even though the sides are clearly visible. Some people have
        said that it's easy to recreate the pleats across the stomach with
        sidelacing, while others have reported that you can do it with back lacing as
        well. I think that any lacing is better than a zipper :-), and again, if it
        gives the right look, then you've at least come close.

        > I'm very frustrated! With all of the talk of "garb snarks," I'm
        > afraid to wear it. Are people really that rude??? I think if anyone
        > says anything to me, I'm just gonna say, "Who asked you?!!?"

        Despite all the stories to the contrary, actual in your face garb snarking is
        VERY rare. I've been in the SCA 13 years; I only started caring about
        authenticity about 7 or 8 years ago, so I spent 6 or 7 years (very active
        years, maybe 10-20 events a year) mostly in RenFaire wench garb. Short
        sleeves, elastic, poly blends, and one really bad attempt at a Viking apron
        dress. And tunics and pants. And mid-calf-length skirts with the hems not
        finished, on purpose, because I thought it looked "peasanty". And I was
        snarked ONCE, at my first event, for having my skirt and petticoat tucked up
        to show off my bloomers in proper Renwench fashion. Once I stopped doing
        that, I stopped hearing any bad comments.
        And honestly, considering some of the things I've seen people wear to first
        events (this past weekend, the guy with the short, not even mid-thigh length
        short-sleeved red tunic over blue jeans, with a baseball cap turned backwards
        on his head comes to mind), you should look positively advanced in your garb
        skills :-)

        Brangwayna
        PS. Just remember that someone who comes up to you and politely mentions
        that they could help you with garb if you are interested is NOT snarking.
        They may well be noting that you are someone who cares about getting it
        right, and would like to help you.

      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2003
          On Monday 05 May 2003 18:09, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
          > Despite all the stories to the contrary, actual in your face garb snarking
          > is VERY rare. I've been in the SCA 13 years; I only started caring about
          > authenticity about 7 or 8 years ago, so I spent 6 or 7 years (very active
          > years, maybe 10-20 events a year) mostly in RenFaire wench garb.

          <humor_mode>
          I personally think we should arbitrarily define wench garb as being period
          for any persona, but perhaps I am merely showing my lecherous side.
          </humor_mode>

          Seriously, Brangwayna makes a good point here. Garb snarking is pretty rare,
          and generally when it does occur it is directed toward people who claim
          expertise in that area (when others disagree with that claim). If anyone
          does comment on your garb, there is nothing at all wrong with saying, "Well,
          this is my first garb. I had it mostly finished before I realized that there
          were some authenticity problems, but I'll fix those on my next project. In
          the meantime, I have something pretty to wear at events while I look around
          to see more authentic examples."

          Generally, a reply like that is more likely to result in offers of research
          help, rather than further criticism. Most authenticity mavens are altogether
          glad to teach, and would rather do that than criticize. For the minority of
          people who really enjoy criticizing others -- well, these folks are found
          in any organization, and they dishonor *themselves* by their conduct. They
          deserve nothing better than to be ignored by the rest of us. The SCA only
          officially requires "an attempt" at pre-1600 costume. Anyone who disagrees
          with that rule should be politely directed to take it up with their local
          Seneschal. (Having been one, I can tell you they are likely to get exactly
          *nowhere* with that tactic. [GRIN])

          But you'll find that most people, when learning that you *made* your first
          garb all by yourself, will be seriously impressed and will be eager to help
          you make more. Expect many more compliments than criticisms. :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • authoressmeow@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2003
            If anyone says anything to you it will be mostlikely to offer help. My
            mentors in the SCA are going to help make my first garb as I learn to sew.
            Relax

          • vujadea200@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2003
              Hey all,
              I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
              weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to meet
              people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

              Adena

            • dontwait4themessiah
              Message 6 of 9 , May 6, 2003
                Our group, Agaricus, near Rowany, Lochac (Sydney, Australia) is
                generally very good about it too. I found this pretty
                looking 'tunic' in black velvet with purple and gold and loved it.
                It turned out to be a dress, but the only thing anyone ever said
                about it was 'You look very pretty today Morag. That's a nice Bob
                outfit you've put together'.
                All you have to do when someone says 'that's all wrong' is
                say 'Yeah, well, the Society is about making an ATTEMPT.' That shuts
                the sharks up.

                Morag the Barde
                Shire of Agaricus, Kingdom of Lochac
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 2003
                  On Tuesday 06 May 2003 00:22, vujadea200@... wrote:
                  > I am from Ansteorra, but I will be at the Mid-Relm Coronation this
                  > weekend. Is anyone else going to be there? If so, it would be great to
                  > meet people who I see emails from all the time!!!!

                  My lady, Milica, and I will be there for morning court but will have to leave
                  shortly after lunch. I'm likely to be wearing teal pants and a tunic of
                  orange-ish yellow. For coronation I might actually wear my Pelican cloak,
                  something that I save for very formal occasions. Have to think about that
                  one.

                  By all means, please introduce yourself to us! We'd love to meet you, and it
                  would be a pleasure and an honor to welcome a guest from far lands to the
                  Middle Kingdom.

                  fesswise reversed sable.