Another question

  • pAuL
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2003
      Hello all who are choosing to read another of my questions. I was
      wondering how usefull but flaps(tassels?) are. I have my chem barrel
      armor made and will be making adjustments this weekend so this would
      be a good time to add these if they are usefull.

      Also I just got back from Northshield coronet(my first event as an
      official member) and I must say that it was a great time and that
      all fighters performed honorably and excellent.
    • Kristen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
        I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was asked to take the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables position. I'd like to do them both, but here is my question. Can I do both jobs?

        Thanks for the Help,
        Kristen
      • Elisabeth Hänsler
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
          Kristen,

          Yes. I am the Kingdom of Atlantia Chancellor of Youth, Barony of
          Windmasters' Hill Chancellor Minor and the Canton of Attillium Deputy
          Seneschal.

          --
          Yours in Honor and Service to the Children of Atlantia,

          Elisabeth Hänsler

          Chancellor of Youth, Kingdom of Atlantia
          Chancellor Minors - Barony of Windmasters' Hill
          Deputy Seneschal - Canton of Attillium

          "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
          ~Eleanor Roosevelt

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
            Quoth "Kristen":
            > I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was asked to tak
            > e the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables position. I'd lik
            > e to do them both, but here is my question. Can I do both jobs?

            Unless the seneschal of your group has a problem with it, sure.
            It's quite common for people to hold multiple offices, especially
            in smaller groups. I believe that the seneschal and the exchequer
            need to reside in different households, and there may be a few
            other similar cases, but for minor offices like minister of
            children, where money and legal matters aren't generally handled,
            there's usually no problem with people doubling up.

            So the question is whether *you* feel comfortable doing so -- do
            you have the time and energy to devote to running both offices?
            If so, if you have your seneschal's blessing, go for it.

            -Aryanhwy, who was deputy chronicler and herald for her group when
            she was a newcomer.

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
              Thank you very much for answering my question, you have no idea how much it has helped.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                I do feel comfortable doing both jobs, thank you for answering my question and your insight.  You have helped me greatly in making my decision to take on both offices.

                Kristen

                > I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was asked to tak
                > e the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables position. I'd lik
                > e to do them both, but here is my question. Can I do both jobs?

                Unless the seneschal of your group has a problem with it, sure.
                It's quite common for people to hold multiple offices, especially
                in smaller groups. I believe that the seneschal and the exchequer
                need to reside in different households, and there may be a few
                other similar cases, but for minor offices like minister of
                children, where money and legal matters aren't generally handled,
                there's usually no problem with people doubling up.

                So the question is whether *you* feel comfortable doing so -- do
                you have the time and energy to devote to running both offices?
                If so, if you have your seneschal's blessing, go for it.

                -Aryanhwy, who was deputy chronicler and herald for her group when
                she was a newcomer.

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis .cx/~liana/

              • Judith Epstein
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                  How does one get to be a herald?

                  On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Sara L Uckelman wrote:

                  > -Aryanhwy, who was deputy chronicler and herald for her group when
                  > she was a newcomer.

                • christopher chastain
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                    Yes you can as they cover different areas and overlap in others. Lost and found particularly= the kids! Also the fire police and parking police, they actually work well together.

                    Yours in Humble Service,
                    Pomestnik Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov

                    Shire of Castlemere Constable
                    "Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing!"

                    To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                      Quoth Judith Epstein:
                      > > -Aryanhwy, who was deputy chronicler and herald for her group when
                      > > she was a newcomer.
                      >
                      > How does one get to be a herald?

                      That is an *excellent* question! (And one of my favorites).

                      There are many ways to become a herald (I became one because
                      I had the distinction of being the only person in the room at
                      the right time who knew the meaning of the name "Bambi". That
                      was considered sufficient qualilfication!). Probably the
                      easiest is to send an email to the principal herald of your
                      kingdom and say "I'd like to be a herald".

                      I don't know what kingdom you're in, but a list of the emails
                      of all the principal heralds can be found here:

                      http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/lists.html#email

                      If your group has a herald, then I would recommend also
                      introducing yourself to them and asking if you can become their
                      deputy. (If you do so, you will most likely be welcomed
                      enthusiastically with open arms -- heralds love having deputies!)

                      A good way to start learning about what's involved in SCA heraldry
                      is to browse through the SCA's heraldry website,
                      http://heraldry.sca.org, and also to join your kingdom's heraldry
                      mailing list (these are also linked from the page listed above).
                      Other websites that you'll probably find interesting, if you're
                      interested in becoming a herald, are the Medieval Names Archive
                      and the Medieval Heraldry Archive:

                      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
                      http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/

                      And that should keep you busy for awhile! :)

                      -Aryanhwy

                      --
                      vita sine literis mors est
                      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                        Brill! Thank you very much, todah rabbah!

                        Judith / no SCA name yet

                        On Jul 23, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Sara L Uckelman wrote:

                        > Quoth Judith Epstein:
                        > > > -Aryanhwy, who was deputy chronicler and herald for her group when
                        > > > she was a newcomer.
                        > >
                        > > How does one get to be a herald?
                        >
                        > That is an *excellent* question! (And one of my favorites).
                        >
                        > There are many ways to become a herald (I became one because
                        > I had the distinction of being the only person in the room at
                        > the right time who knew the meaning of the name "Bambi". That
                        > was considered sufficient qualilfication!). Probably the
                        > easiest is to send an email to the principal herald of your
                        > kingdom and say "I'd like to be a herald".
                        >
                        > I don't know what kingdom you're in, but a list of the emails
                        > of all the principal heralds can be found here:
                        >
                        > http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/lists.html#email
                        >
                        > If your group has a herald, then I would recommend also
                        > introducing yourself to them and asking if you can become their
                        > deputy. (If you do so, you will most likely be welcomed
                        > enthusiastically with open arms -- heralds love having deputies!)
                        >
                        > A good way to start learning about what's involved in SCA heraldry
                        > is to browse through the SCA's heraldry website,
                        > http://heraldry.sca.org, and also to join your kingdom's heraldry
                        > mailing list (these are also linked from the page listed above).
                        > Other websites that you'll probably find interesting, if you're
                        > interested in becoming a herald, are the Medieval Names Archive
                        > and the Medieval Heraldry Archive:
                        >
                        > http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
                        > http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/
                        >
                        > And that should keep you busy for awhile! :)
                        >
                        > -Aryanhwy
                        >
                        > --
                        > vita sine literis mors est
                        > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

                      • Kyla
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                          Actually, that can be a more confusing question than you may realize.
                          There are at least 2 kinds of herald within the SCA: court heralds, or
                          crying heralds, go about events yelling out important news, like schedule
                          changes, and speak for the royalty in court if said royalty ask them to -
                          frequently reading out scrolls as they are awarded, so the populace can hear
                          what is written on the scroll.
                          Book heralds, or pursuivants, help you with your name and device
                          submissions - learning about historical heraldry and SCA heraldry.
                          This is not to say that you can't do both, I know several people who do, but
                          you may not be aware of this division of labor, and may want to pursue one
                          type of activity at a time.

                          Tabitha Pennywarden, who likes to know exactly what her choices are,
                          Ravenslake, Midlands
                          Middle Kingdom

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 23, 2009
                            I thought all the heralds did both. I'm interested in both.

                            On Jul 23, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Kyla wrote:

                            > Actually, that can be a more confusing question than you may realize.
                            > There are at least 2 kinds of herald within the SCA: court heralds, or
                            > crying heralds, go about events yelling out important news, like
                            > schedule
                            > changes, and speak for the royalty in court if said royalty ask them
                            > to -
                            > frequently reading out scrolls as they are awarded, so the populace
                            > can hear
                            > what is written on the scroll.
                            > Book heralds, or pursuivants, help you with your name and device
                            > submissions - learning about historical heraldry and SCA heraldry.
                            > This is not to say that you can't do both, I know several people who
                            > do, but
                            > you may not be aware of this division of labor, and may want to
                            > pursue one
                            > type of activity at a time.
                            >
                            > Tabitha Pennywarden, who likes to know exactly what her choices are,
                            > Ravenslake, Midlands
                            > Middle Kingdom

                          • Sara L Uckelman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 24, 2009
                              Quoth Judith Epstein:
                              > I thought all the heralds did both. I'm interested in both.

                              A lot of heralds start off doing both, but find they gravitate
                              more towards one particular area. I tend to not do the field
                              heraldry so much, because I've never been a fan of going to a
                              place, shouting something, and having everyone stop what they're
                              doing and turn and look at me. Not exactly stage fright, but
                              there's usually enough other people around, with much more
                              competent lungs than mine too!, that I don't worry too much about
                              not doing much field heraldry.

                              -Aryanhwy, definitely a book herald.

                              --
                              vita sine literis mors est
                              http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 24, 2009
                                Kristen asked:

                                <<< I attended our Baronial buisness meeting the other night and was
                                asked to take the Deputy Minister of Children, and also the Constables
                                position. I'd like to do them both, but here is my question. Can I
                                do both jobs? >>>

                                There are several parts to the answer to your question. Some folks
                                have already touched on one of these, but let me expand on that and be
                                more general on the offices.

                                The first part is, is it legal by SCA rules to hold two offices? As
                                others have pointed out, this depends upon the two offices involved
                                and perhaps the rules of your particular kingdom. There are specific
                                offices that can not be held by the same person or even closely
                                related persons because there various financial checks and balances
                                and this sidesteps some of them. That is not a concern with these two
                                offices.

                                The second part is, even if you can legally hold the two offices, can
                                you do a good job at both together? Each office takes time to do and
                                this doubles the amount of time needed. Some offices only need blocks
                                of time occasionally and they don't overlap with each other. For
                                instance, I imagine that a Constable is mostly active at events, so it
                                would mesh well with something like editor, where most effort is put
                                in outside of events. I would think that a Constable might spend a
                                fair amount of time patrolling an event site or at least being on call
                                in case an emergency comes up.

                                The Minister of Children is usually only needed during the few hours
                                of an event that involves children's activities. However, the rules
                                now say that two non-related adults must be present at all children's
                                activities. So what happens if you are helping to run or are running
                                children's activities and as Constable you are called away to handle
                                an emergency of some kind? Perhaps having another Deputy Minister of
                                Children or having a Deputy Constable that can take over for you when
                                needed would solve this. Something to keep in mind, though.

                                So, with any two offices, consider the responsibilities involved, talk
                                with those who would be your superior and your seneschal and try to
                                make sure you can handle both offices and that they are happy with
                                this before taking them on.

                                Stefan
                                --------
                              • Kristen Praiswater
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 25, 2009
                                  Thank you for expanding on the subject, you have clarified for me other thoughts and questions that have been running through my head.  It's a lot to handle, so I am looking for help.  One of my friends called me the other day and asked me if I would like her to help with the childrens activites, she's going to call me back Monday and we're going to talk more about it then.  I'm excited and a little nervous about taking on all of this responsibility.  Thank you so much for your advice, and for answering my question.

                                  Thank you,
[...]

                                  Mark S. Harris Austin, Texas StefanliRous@ austin.rr. com
                                  **** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: http://www.florileg ium.org ****

                                • Kristen Praiswater
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 25, 2009
                                    Thank you, everyone here is so helpful and gives such good advice.

                                    Kristen

                                    From: spellsinger28@...
                                    Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:06:38 +0000