Re: [SCA Newcomers] Greetings to all

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2003
      In a message dated 4/26/2003 10:00:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > I found this site that should the garb from the 13th Warrior movie
      > for a closer look at it. I'd like to see what everyone else thinks
      > of it. http://test.reelclothes.com/movie1.asp?id=111

      My husband has recently done a great deal of research on Norse male clothing
      in preparation for making authentic outfits for several friends of ours, and
      he has never seen anything like the leather skirt for a man - or a woman, for
      that matter. Nor do I recall ever seeing mail of that pattern - any mail
      shirt used would actually be a mail shirt, complete all the way around the
      body.
      And the construction of the wool shirt is entirely wrong for a Norse tunic -
      it looks like a modern turtleneck pattern to me.
      I have to say, I would not recommend going with an outfit like this for SCA
      use. I have never seen anything even remotely like it even at an SCA event.

      Sorry. That's one of the reasons why you should never rely on movies for
      clothing choices :-)

      Brangwayna