Re: [SCA Newcomers] Membership

  • R Gray
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
      Ariadne -

      I posed a very similar question last month on one of
      the lists I belong to, and got quite a few replies.
      Some of the answers I received outlined the reasons
      you have already stated. One of the other "perks" of
      being a card carrying member is that you show your
      financial support of the organization. It costs money
      to run the SCA, and I am happy to do my part so I can
      register my name & play in the association. You also
      get speedy service when going to events - you can
      usually just pay your money & walk in, instead of
      standing in line, filling out the paperwork (damage
      waver, drivers license, etc). As a member you can
      also hold office & fight. You cannot do either
      without a membership card.

      Just a few reasons, & my 2 cents!!

      Anpli�a Dell'Isola

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
        Well, I may be wrong (again LOL) but my understanding was that the
        associate membership was for additional people at the same address
        and does not include the Kingdom newsletter. So that in the case of
        a couple, one would get a full membership, inclding the newsletter,
        and the other would get the associate membership. So, if that is
        true, you may not be able to get an associate membership.

        If money is really tight, hold off on membership for a while and put
        your change in a "membership jar". Depending on you Kingdom, there
        are not many things extra that a memebership allows you to do. On
        the other hand, as Anpliça Dell'Isola says, it is a time saver, not
        to memtion that pesky non-member surcharge. I also feel that people
        have a tendency to be more involved if they have a monetary
        investment in something...

        William

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2003
          In a message dated 4/26/2003 10:00:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > Well, I may be wrong (again LOL) but my understanding was that the
          > associate membership was for additional people at the same address
          > and does not include the Kingdom newsletter. So that in the case of
          > a couple, one would get a full membership, inclding the newsletter,
          > and the other would get the associate membership. So, if that is
          > true, you may not be able to get an associate membership.

          No, that would be a "family membership" - which I hold. The associate is for
          any person, just as the sustaining is.

          Ariadne, the question of whether a kingdom newsletter is worth $15 is up to
          you. One of the primary things the kingdom newsletter does is to advertise
          events held in your kingdom, providing all the necessary info such as
          activities, location, prices, directions, etc. If you have another, reliable
          source for that information, such as a regularly updated kingdom website with
          an event calendar, you may find that you don't need the newsletter. But if
          you don't have such a source, finding out about events to go to is going to
          be haphazard at best, and may make it harder for you to get really active.

          On the other hand, I often recommend that newcomers "try out" the SCA without
          buying a membership for a little while, to see if they really do want to do
          this. One thing that may make a difference for you (or may not) is that I
          don't know how often you are going to find events focussed on or other people
          interested in 5th century Greece. I know a few Romano-Britons from that time
          period, and I can think of one guy I have seen doing early Greek, but I don't
          know when. For some people, that might be a problem; for others, the SCA
          still gives them a place to explore what they want on their own.

          Brangwayna

        • lilolondonnowoeoforwic
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 27, 2003
            Well after 12 years, I ain't paying membershiop no more. It just
            ain't worth it to me. I go to maybe one er two SCA events a year and
            it really ain't worth tha $35 US (about $55 or more Canadian)

            Speaking of memberships and stuff I got a few links to share with yas.

            tha first one is The Conferation of Medival Kingdoms...
            it's fer ALL people in ALL medieval societies ta come to gether at a
            round table and discuss stuff like get togethers at events and build
            up alliances.
            that be LUTES, CSA, DAGGER, Adrian, SCA, and others.
            we respect ALL crowns and nobles no matter wot group they belong to.
            It ain't fer role playing and recruiting into other groups... just a
            discussion forum fer everyone to get outside of their own clique and
            mingle with other minds that share a common interest.
            tha link is:

            Everyone is welcome ta respectfully join, be you a crown or commoner.

            There's also a tavern ya cin belly up into that's fer everyone and
            cin speak about anything they want...

            Speakin of memberships...
            permit me ta share this bit of joyful news wit yas...
            but...
            are there any CANADIANS in tha house???

            Wellll
            Canada has it's FIRST international Medieval Enactment society
            approved as a non-profit corporation!!
            Yep!!

            and it be an EMPIRE with US chapters and folks overseas interested in
            hangin' about.
            memberships are FREE and donations are tax deductable!!
            Chapters that wanna join, pay a small annual fee ta cover admin costs
            but tha idea is ta play and have fun in medieval fashion.

            if yer interested in playing with more than one group and wanna be
            part of this one too.. thar are two forums ya cin join:

            INTERNATIONAL forum (Imperial courts)

            CANADIAN chapters, local Toronto announcements etc,(kingdom court)

            (Note: tha Hightower group plays alot more often and has more events
            than ya cin imagine)

            I'm really excited about this bit o' news an' hope ya share it yer
            friends an' come out an' say 'ello to tha good folks i this
            organization.
            This is great fer us folks North of tha border that just cain't pay
            them huge membership dues with them exchange rates. Hopefully, we cin
            all play tagether and stuff, ey?

            If ya gots questions,
            ya cin email HRM Anastasia the Innocent at:
            kingdom_of_hightower@...

            She'll b e'appy ta yap wit ya and stuff.

            CHEERS!!!
            lots o' luv,
            £i£

            --ladyjane_in_colorado wrote:
            > As I'm tight on funds, so I'm trying to decide if I want to become
            > paid member or not. I know that one of the big benefits is not
            > having to pay the non-member surcharges at events, but I doubt I'll
            > make it to 12 events a year that have a $3 surcharge so that it'll
            > pay for itself.
          • J. A. Gray
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
              Okay, I'm going to do it. I'll be mailing out my application today.
              I decided to get the sustaining membership (I'll just have to cut
              corners somewhere else). On the application it says to send a
              postcard if you need confirmation that you've joined. Am I correct
              in assuming that this is done because it can take a while to get the
              card and that it would be sent fairly quickly? I'm going to an event
              on May 23rd so would like to avoid the surcharge.

              Thanks,
              Ariadne
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2003
                On Wednesday 30 April 2003 11:24, J. A. Gray wrote:
                > Okay, I'm going to do it. I'll be mailing out my application today.
                > I decided to get the sustaining membership (I'll just have to cut
                > corners somewhere else). On the application it says to send a
                > postcard if you need confirmation that you've joined. Am I correct
                > in assuming that this is done because it can take a while to get the
                > card and that it would be sent fairly quickly? I'm going to an event
                > on May 23rd so would like to avoid the surcharge.

                Congrats, Ariadne!

                If you get your application out in the next couple of days, there's a good
                chance you'll have your card by May 23. The new membership system is much
                faster than the old one, and turnaround time is typically about 2 weeks, though
                they officially say 4 to 6 weeks.

                Your decision, but only $3 is at risk. I'd chance it.

                fesswise reversed sable.

              • RJ
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 25, 2007
                  I've downloaded the SCA membership form. Do I have to have a SCA
                  name registered or anything to become a member?

                  And what's the difference between the two types of memberships?
                  I'd like to receive publications, I believe that's the first
                  type of membership, but I'm unclear.

                  The other thing I've notice on the mebership paper ...
                  under Publications there's First and Third, what is this?

                  Thanks again,
                  RJ
                • Signora Beatrice
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007
                    Hello, RJ, and welcome.

                    No, you do not need to have an SCA name, nor have it registered to be a
                    member. The membership card name and registered names have NOTHING to do
                    with each other. The office of the SCA, Inc. takes the name you write on
                    your application and types it onto your card. If you write "Jabba the
                    Hut" on there, "Jabba the Hut" would be on your membership card.
                    Registering a name, on the other hand, is done through the College of
                    Heralds, and any registered name must meet a number of criteria, including
                    period-ness and unique-ness.

                    The two main types of membership are Subscribing (you receive paper copies
                    of your Kingdom's newsletter) and Associate (you do not receive paper
                    copies of anything other than your membership card). In the days before
                    the internet, the printed Kingdom newsletter was often the only source for
                    event information. These days, the paper copies are nice if you're
                    traveling, but hardly the necessity they once were.

                    For the publications "First" and "Third" are the class of mail that your
                    publications would be delivered by. The main advantage to going "First"
                    class is that your publications would be forwarded if you moved or changed
                    addresses. Someone else may know of other benefits to paying extra for
                    the postage.

                    In Service to Lioncourt Manor and An Tir,
                    Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana

                    Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                    http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/