Re: Norse names

  • Elena Scathlocke
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2003
      > Does anyone know whence the Norse who settled in and around Cork
      > came? (I don't know how much the Danes and Norwegians differed,
      >but he'll probably need to pick one or the other if he later
      >decides to get into really exacting period details, and would
      >prefer his name be in the right form from the get-go.)

      Misty,

      Let me give you what I have from my class notes (Celtic Fringe, a
      history of Ireland, Scotland and Wales, taught at the school I go
      to.)

      The "Vikings" raided the northern coasts of Scotland and Ireland
      (mostly monasteries, for the really good loot) from the late 8th -
      11th c. AD.

      The first Vikings that settled in Ireland were led by Turgeis, a
      Norwegian viking (called white vikings) in 839. He founds the town
      of Dublin in 841. Turgeis didn't last long, as he tried to subdue
      the native Irish and convert them from Celtic Christianity to the
      worship of Thor. The Irish drowned him (844).

      Things are made more complicated when the Danish come in. The Irish
      and the white/Norwegian vikings ally against the black/Danish
      vikings. When the Danish arrive in 851, there are constant
      skirmishes, firtifications at Wexford, Waterford, Dublin, and Cork.

      (the lecture goes on to talk about the raids on the Scottish
      Hebrides, Orkneys, etc.)

      Unfortunately I didn't write down which faction held the port
      cities, but I seem to remember that the Norse were in control of hte
      major eastern port cities during your period. (or rather a mixture
      of Norse Viking settlers and native Irish-who are descendants of the
      Goidelic Celt culture)

      This is all prior to the Brian Boru "nationalist" battles in early
      11th c.

      I hope this helps, even if just a little. :-)

      YIS,
      Elena
    • R Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2003
        > > Does anyone know whence the Norse who settled in
        > and around Cork
        > > came? (I don't know how much the Danes and
        > Norwegians differed,
        > >but he'll probably need to pick one or the other if
        > he later
        > >decides to get into really exacting period details,
        > and would
        > >prefer his name be in the right form from the
        > get-go.)

        I can't help much on the above question, but I did
        find a good sourse of Scandinavian names at the
        Acadamy of St Gabirel (http://www.s-gabriel.com)

        Here the specific link:
        http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/scandinavian.shtml

        Best of luck!

        Anpli�a Dell'Isola
        (I know - the name keeps changing! That's what I get
        for digging deeper into research. <g>)

        http://search.yahoo.com