Re: [SCA Newcomers] Finding a niche

  • Nataku
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
      Holli Hartman wrote:
      > Anyone have an advice for finding my 'niche' in the SCA? Nothing
      > really jumps out at me. I'm not really an artistic type or a fighter
      > athletic type... no crafts I'm particularly good at... It just seems
      > that the folks who have been in for a while all of a sort of niche
      > that is theirs, either they do weaving or brewing or fighting or
      > heraldry or whatever.

      I haven't yet found my niche either, but what I've been doing in the meantime is
      attending those guild meetings that I'm able to. It's much like junior college
      was for me--learning about various things until I have enough knowledge to
      decide what feels like where I belong. Unfortunately, I work five nights a week
      so I'm unable to attend most guilds in my barony. The dance guild, though, has
      become a definite "keeper."

      --Kristin
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2003
        It is hard for me to offer a suggestion because I don't know your likes and
        dislikes, and there are literally thousands of things to do in the SCA. But,
        here are some thoughts to finding your place. Finding your place is really
        only soething you can do. When My Lady met me I had been in the SCA for
        many many years. She felt out of place for about a year until she started
        getting into things and enjoying events a lot more. Don't just sit on the
        sidelines, get out walk around talk to people.. Enjoy life.

        I suggest you keep an eye on A&S classes and see if there is something
        appealing. Some events offer only a few classes, Pennsic can offer hundreds
        of them.

        Consider what you do in mundane life, what are you likes and dislikes, how
        can they work into the SCA? Hobbies often make good places to start. My
        wife has always done crosstich, now she is apprenticing in embriodery.

        Try some different things. Try fencing, you don't have to be an athlete, or
        even good at it to play. Try some crafts, nobody starts out good at
        anything, all things take practice and dedication.

        Or maybe you might enjoy the service end of things. Running events, setting
        up merchants, cooking feasts, exchequer, chatalaine, senachel, even water
        bearing, etc.

        Also Chiurgens always need more help. First aid is needed at every event an
        always appreciated, even if people don't always mention it.

        Heraldry is fun, there are heralds who yell in court and others who only do
        research in books. If you can draw they can use your help to design Arms.

        Some insane wackos try and do darn near everything...
        I fight, shoot a bow, throw axes, woodwork, leatherwork, brew, teach
        classes, blacksmith (if I have to), make clothes, make nets, and spend a
        great deal of my time in service having held a number of offices over the
        years. I am always willing to try anything, go to any class, help out
        whenever needed.

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer