Re: Finding a niche

  • Jack Dingler
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2003
      Are you happy without a niche?

      I had a niche in mind before I joined. Now it looks like I'm going
      further with A&S than I originally intended. I knew my wife would get
      into the spirit because she loves clothes and shoes.

      What rings your bells?

      Jack Dingler

      P.S. My Seneschal and another officer are being very supportive of my
      request for the Minister of A&S post. I'll see some of you folks at
      future events.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Holli Hartman <hmhartman@p...> wrote:
      > Anyone have an advice for finding my 'niche' in the SCA? Nothing
      > really jumps out at me. I'm not really an artistic type or a fighter
      > athletic type... no crafts I'm particularly good at... It just seems
      > that the folks who have been in for a while all of a sort of niche
      > that is theirs, either they do weaving or brewing or fighting or
      > heraldry or whatever.
      >
      > --
      > x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
      > Margaret of Hollingford mka Holli Hartman
      > Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia
      > hmhartman@p... http://pages.prodigy.net/hmhartman
      > AIM: kshhartman Yahoo!IM: hollimhartman
      > Argent, a fess wavy azure between three pairs of holly
      > leaves vert, fructed gules
      > x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2003
        Don't rush. Take your time. It's not a race to get put into a
        cubbyhole (LOL). There is always the way of the Pelican, service.
        Just offer to help with everything that you have time for. Help do a
        little bit of everything until you do find what you like, then go
        from there.

        William

        wrote:
        > Anyone have an advice for finding my 'niche' in the SCA? Nothing
        > really jumps out at me. I'm not really an artistic type or a
        fighter
        > athletic type... no crafts I'm particularly good at... It just
        seems
        > that the folks who have been in for a while all of a sort of niche
        > that is theirs, either they do weaving or brewing or fighting or
        > heraldry or whatever.
        >
        > --
        > x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
        > Margaret of Hollingford mka Holli
        Hartman
        > Barony of Storvik, Kingdom of Atlantia
        > hmhartman@p... http://pages.prodigy.net/hmhartman
        > AIM: kshhartman Yahoo!IM: hollimhartman
        > Argent, a fess wavy azure between three pairs of holly
        > leaves vert, fructed gules
        > x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2003
          On Wednesday 09 April 2003 21:41, Holli Hartman wrote:
          > Anyone have an advice for finding my 'niche' in the SCA? Nothing
          > really jumps out at me. I'm not really an artistic type or a fighter
          > athletic type... no crafts I'm particularly good at... It just seems
          > that the folks who have been in for a while all of a sort of niche
          > that is theirs, either they do weaving or brewing or fighting or
          > heraldry or whatever.

          Hmmmm..... Sounds a lot like me.

          I'm a fighter (and have just completed the training to be a Marshal, as
          soon as the paperwork clears the Kingdom level), but I'm not good enough
          to really be "foremost in battle" as the Knights say.

          I do woodworking and some other limited A&S, but I'm never going to enter
          anything in a contest. I just do what I do for fun.

          But I'm a damned fine paper pusher! And I know a lot about computers. So,
          I am my shire's web minister, and I keep the Seneschallorum database for
          the group contact data. And I've served since 1994 as a Seneschal at the
          local, Regional, and Deputy Kingdom levels. I have an EMT card, so I became
          a Chirurgeon. This year I'm War Chirurgeon at Pennsic.

          I love hanging out with my friends, so I do a lot of dishes at events. If you
          approach it with the right attitude, and shanghai the right "victims", errr,
          acquaintances, into helping, it can become a fun social activity. (No, really!)
          And I've found that I love serving at feasts, especially when I get a table
          full of boisterous people with a warped sense of humor. I once served an
          entire feast with an ad-lib "Doctor Seuss" poem written for each dish. Why
          let it be boring?

          My point? Don't worry too much about finding "your" niche. Just look at
          the talents and skills that you have, and find some jobs that need doing. Soon
          you'll find that you've made a new niche all your own, rather than falling into
          a pre-made one created by others. This is, after all, the Society for
          *Creative* Anachronism.

          Have fun!

          fesswise reversed sable.