Re: [SCA Newcomers] I got my blue card....

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
      On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
      > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
      > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
      > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
      > on this subject??

      With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are going
      to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile thing to
      do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage more new
      members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's good to have
      *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by being a
      deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
      most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

      There's also something to be said for supporting the organization where we
      all have fun. The corporate offices pay a great deal of money to our insurance
      company each year, so that local groups don't have to buy expensive liability
      policies. And this policy *does* get used. The corporate office also has legal
      counsel on retainer to handle lawsuits, which happen from time to time in any
      large organization. It's very good not to have to worry about these things in
      your local shire, because most of us would rather have fun than worry about
      lawsuits and insurance. Your membership dues help to pay for these things,
      and they also fund other administrative things that we thus don't have to
      do locally.

      Your membership also gets you a subscription to your Kingdom newsletter, which
      is a great way to know what events are coming up.

      Finally, I would suggest to all who are joining the SCA to consider, depending
      on your financial resources, paying the extra money for a subscription to
      Tournaments Illuminated. This is a fantastic magazine, full of great research
      articles. It's always been "good" in my opinion, but in the past several years
      I have been amazed to see how the quality and content have gotten even better.
      If you can afford it, TI is a very worthwhile research investment.

      Who should *not* buy a membership? People who are just attending their first
      event or two, and who aren't sure if this is a hobby they will continue to
      pursue. The SCA isn't for everyone, and it's nice to be able to "try it out"
      without paying for a membership.

      Just my opinion, probably worth exactly what you paid for it. ;-)

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
        Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card before
        I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
        > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
        > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
        > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
        > on this subject??
        >
        > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
      • katrynia
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
          i am right along with you William.. i was going to things before my
          blue card came..meeting people.. and making some new friends....and
          within this two months .. i have taken up archery.. and going to the
          fletching guild..to make my set of arrows.. and going to our April
          *swap* moot... to see if i can pick up some things i probly
          need...borrowing some garb for the occasion.. as my own garb is not
          completed yet..
          i don't see the reason for waiting.. hehe.. but some like to try
          things out first.. me...i jump right in i guess...
          katrynia
          from the Barony of Jararvellir
          Kingdom of the Middle...

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Sorry, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I had my blue card
          before
          > I even went to my first meeting, much less my first event.
          >
          > William
          >
          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
          > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
          > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
          > > on this subject??
          > >
          > > Anplica de Spina (aka Rae)
        • Jack Dingler
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
            <justin@4...> wrote:
            > On Friday 04 April 2003 10:42, R Gray wrote:
            > > Congrats!!! I haven't decided if I'm going to take
            > > the plunge right away and become a member within 2
            > > months of joining my shire. Anyone have any thoughts
            > > on this subject??
            >
            > With the $3 nonmember event surcharge, if you're pretty sure you are
            going
            > to continue in this hobby, the membership is a definite worthwhile
            thing to
            > do. It also lets you hold office, something that I would encourage
            more new
            > members to try. A lot of new folks are hesitant, and indeed it's
            good to have
            > *some* experience, but you can learn most of the group offices by
            being a
            > deputy for six months or so. If you plan to go to Pennsic, you will save
            > most of the cost of a membership on that event alone.

            Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)

            I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local chapter.
            I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local group
            doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
            with folks regarding A&S.

            I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...

            Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...

            Jack Dingler
            The Shire of Emerald Keep
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
              If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
              send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
              Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
              Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
              if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
              great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
              interest for you to succeed.

              A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
              organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
              skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
              there.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
              <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
              > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
              >
              > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
              chapter.
              > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
              group
              > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
              > with folks regarding A&S.
              >
              > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
              >
              > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
              >
              > Jack Dingler
              > The Shire of Emerald Keep
              > Kingdom of Ansteorra
            • Jack Dingler
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                Thank you very much. I have received my first Black Star, but my wife
                has only allowed me one glance at it so far. :)

                Looks like she's already making arrangements for us to go to Warlord
                XXX. She's having some success sewing her first dress and is getting
                into the spirit.

                Jack Dingler

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                > interest for you to succeed.
                >
                > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                > there.
                >
                > William
                >

                > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                > >
                > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                > chapter.
                > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                > group
                > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                > > with folks regarding A&S.
                > >
                > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                > >
                > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                > >
                > > Jack Dingler
                > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                > > Kingdom of Ansteorra
              • R Gray
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                  Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                  plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                  position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                  find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                  whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                  members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                  but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                  of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)

                  Anplica de Spina

                  > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in
                  > my local chapter.
                  > I joined primarily because this is my interest.
                  > Since our local group
                  > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how
                  > to get in touch
                  > with folks regarding A&S.
                  >
                  > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                  >
                  > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                  >
                  > Jack Dingler
                  > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                  > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                  http://tax.yahoo.com
                • Steve Rourke
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                    Actually The Central Regional A&S Minister in Ansteorra is H.L. Asa
                    Hrafnasdottir.

                    Dohmnall
                    Central Regional Hospitaler & MoAS Canton of Loch Ruadh
                    > If you haven't gotten a copy of the Black Star, let me know and I'll
                    > send you the contact info for your regional Minister of A&S, Lady
                    > Julianna Verture and the Kingdom Minister of A&S, Mistress Kasilda
                    > Kubasek. They should be able to help you and get you started. Also,
                    > if you have any Laurels or Apprentices in your group, they would be a
                    > great source of info and help, especially as it would be in their
                    > interest for you to succeed.
                    >
                    > A first step would be to find out what guilds/groups are already
                    > organized. Another thing would be to do a survey of who has what
                    > skills and what are the interests of the populace. You can work from
                    > there.
                    >
                    > William
                    >

                    > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Dingler"
                    > <weaseldog2001@y...> wrote:
                    > > Ok, thanks for the encouragement. :)
                    > >
                    > > I've applied for the position of Minister of A&S, in my local
                    > chapter.
                    > > I joined primarily because this is my interest. Since our local
                    > group
                    > > doesn't have an officer, I was at a loss as to how to get in touch
                    > > with folks regarding A&S.
                    > >
                    > > I'm meeting with our Seneschal this evening...
                    > >
                    > > Holding my nose, jumping in feet first...
                    > >
                    > > Jack Dingler
                    > > The Shire of Emerald Keep
                    > > Kingdom of Ansteorra

                    ---
                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                      Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.

                      William

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Rourke"

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                        Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                        I was working on that myself (deputy herald-in-training) until
                        the "other thing" came up. I thing heraldry, both field and book, is
                        a lot of fun. Well, it is something I can fall back on later.

                        William

                        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, R Gray <winterstar74@y...> wrote:
                        > Go Jack Go! I've been thinking about taking the
                        > plunge myself and going for my shire's Herald
                        > position. Our current Herald is only around until we
                        > find a replacement or until the end of the year,
                        > whatever comes first, & we have about 6 or so active
                        > members, most of whom have been in the SCA for 10+ yrs
                        > but still! Eeeeeeeekkkkk! Am I ready for that kind
                        > of committment? (Or am I ready to be committed?!)
                        >
                        > Anplica de Spina

                      • Steve Rourke
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                          > Must be a change since the info went into the elusive March edition.
                          >
                          > William

                          The change became effective at Coronation in January, but like many things
                          it takes time for the chroniclers to make the nessesary changes.

                          Dohmnall

                          ---
                        • R Gray
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 10, 2003
                            --- chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            > Come, Come to the dark side young one... (LMHO)

                            LOL - Well we'll just have to see. Our shire's
                            meeting is tonight, & I faxed my application for
                            membership yesterday, so there's nothing to stop me
                            from becoming one with the dark side (or would that be
                            the sable side?). I did find a name for myself, and
                            an working on a blazon by myself, so maybe I have what
                            it takes.

                            Of course, if I become a herald, wouldn't I just HAVE
                            to go out shopping for lots of fun books and fabrics
                            and other stuff. Hmmmmm...maybe I should do that
                            anyways! :)

                            Anplica de Spina

                            http://tax.yahoo.com